"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Monday, December 26, 2011

Home at last

The past week brought the white in Christmas.  Although the previous days saw a warming trend, the snow came on schedule.  For a while I worried that the weather might end up similar to the past un-autumn-like temperature of the Thanksgiving holiday. 

Snowflakes started to fall on Monday, and persisted throughout the day.  Snow melted quickly afterwards as the temperatures went up again.  Then on Thursday (the official start of winter) snow came down with a vengeance as though it was making up for lost time. 

The sudden dumping of snow only intensified the feeling of sadness I started to experience mid-week.  On Wednesday I got the news of one of my old friends’ passing.  Rhea, a former work associate in Manila, finally ended her battle with colon cancer.  Her daughter (Mai) is my goddaughter and because Rhea resided in another continent, we lost touch over the years.  I was never a part of Mai’s growing up years due to the long distance that separated us.  Through Divine Providence we reunited in July this year, a few months before Rhea’s medical condition deteriorated.

I learned that Rhea had put up with a terrible disease that affected the quality of her life.  She had Stage IV colon cancer and went under the knife about a couple of months ago.  She might have expected to feel better from the surgery, but it obviously took a toll on her body.  My goddaughter’s wish was to see her mother live a long life, but Jesus had a better plan.  He allowed my friend to rest from her physical pain so that her children could take a permanent break from the emotional and financial worries of caring for an ailing parent.  Prolonging Rhea’s life would not only procrastinate the inevitability of death, but extend her offsprings’ worries over the increasing burden of medical expenses. 

Mai and her siblings are devastated like any child who grieves for the loss of a parent.  I was in the same boat in 1982 weeks before Christmas when my mother crossed over.  Perhaps my mother’s demise just before the holidays explains why I almost always greet the holiday season with a bit of melancholy.  My mother fell seriously ill before Thanksgiving, became bedridden and died in her sleep 22 days before Christmas.

Now that I look back, I am certain that Mai and her mother came back into my life so that my old friend and I could catch up with each other.  When I found out about Rhea’s deteriorating health, I prayed and asked for God’s Mercy in alleviating the situation for the family.  I fervently asked that His Kindness wave the magical resolution that would be best for everyone.

Although Rhea’s passing brings sadness specially at a time of joyous celebration, she has gone to a better place, finally free from all that makes living a hell on earth.  No one should question the Wisdom of the Good Lord.  For people like my friend who find themselves trapped in a downhill medical battle, the best way is to wish for the rest of the departed because no matter how many breaths they take, their existence will never get any better.

I have encouraged my goddaughter to grieve, but at the same time, to feel happy that her mother is finally home.  Although it is hard to let those we love go, it is the end of their borrowed time on earth and we really have no control over the matter.

My wish for Rhea’s children is to go through their period of bereavement, and to quickly move on with their lives.  Losing a parent is an irreplaceable loss, but I am sure that their mother would not want them to remain unhappy.

Rest in peace, Rhea… my dear, dear friend!