"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, December 31, 2010

Invite an elephant into your home


We all know that elephants are huge creatures living in some kind of jungle.  But do you know that an elephant, better yet a family of elephants, should have a space in your home?

The elephant figurines or statues, that is, not the living creatures.  In my research, I learned that elephants carry a great amount of auspicious symbolism.  In many Asian cultures, the elephant is revered and is regarded as a sacred animal.  In Buddhism the elephant is a celestial animal because this creature is one of the sacred treasures of Buddha. It is regarded as a symbol of morals and dignity. 

In the Chinese and Indian cultures, elephants have the reputation of attracting wealth.  In both countries, the elephant is used to represent wisdom, loyalty, longevity and elegance.  In Thailand and India, it is a symbol of good luck and excellent fortune.  In those countries, images and statues of kings and deities are often riding on elephants. 

In feng shui, this animal activates the positive energies of power, strength, longevity, prosperity, fertility, and wisdom.  The elephant is also considered a strong symbol of good luck and success.  It acts as the grantor of wishes and the household protector.

If a trunk-up elephant statue or a pair is placed at the front door, it brings good luck, strength and protection to the household because these creatures are sometimes referred to as elephants of many blessings.  The trunks facing upwards represent good luck, prosperity and victory.  Elephants with their trunks facing downward are believed to represent conception and longevity. 

Placed as the gatekeepers and guardians at the front entrance of the home, the elephants’ trunks raised in a trumpeting motion and standing on their rear legs, this posture symbolizes power and protection.  It heralds good fortune, prosperity, good luck and victory.  The elephants keep the power that you attract, guarding  and keeping  the power inside the home.

If you need to attract power or have the need to maintain it in your office or business, place an elephant in the entrance hall or near the front door.  It is believed that this will not only help you achieve the power, but will allow you to keep that power secure.

I’ve had a few elephant figurines and statues in my home even before I knew anything about feng shui.  My sister gave me a long family of elephants.  The only ideal place to put them was on my mantel above the fireplace.  That’s where the family has been since then.  From my research, I realized that putting the elephant figurine on a high location was the right thing to do.  Figurines or statues of trunk-up elephant are best placed high on a mantel, shelf or altar but never in the direction of the entrance or front door.  The symbolic meaning is trumpeting the good news. 

There is a big elephant statue standing at the corner of my living room fireplace.  It seems like a good location for it as it welcomes guests at the front door. Fortunately, its raised trunk is not exactly pointing to the doorway!  Looking back to the two years I was unemployed after my layoff, that elephant must have done its job of protecting me. I may have lost two years’ worth of paychecks, but I managed to keep the roof over my head.  There might have been a brief period of adversity, but success wasn’t far behind.

My work associate who recently returned from Thailand brought me a mini black elephant with its trunk raised upwards.  I didn’t know what was inside the bright yellow mini gift bag, but as soon as I saw the elephant, I screamed from great joy.  The mini figurine now stands majestically on my overhead shelf at work.

Although elephant figurines are dime a dozen in Asian boutiques or Oriental gift shops, if you can’t find, or can’t afford, an elephant statue or figurine, pictures and drawings can be used.  Encouraging everyone to display this animal in their home might not be a bad idea because based on my personal experience living with replicas of this creature, I enjoyed all the luck I needed at the time I needed it. 

I hope that should you decide to keep an elephant or a family of elephants in your home, you too will be showered with the blessings of good luck and success in life.  As in everything else, you’ll never know what's in store for you until you give it a try!