"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, May 27, 2011

Kirstie’s trophy

Credit: Bob D'Amico/ABC

Quite honestly, although it was on my Wish List, I didn’t expect 60-year old Kirstie Alley, two-time Emmy winning actress, to take home the mirrorball trophy.  My thinking was based on the “Dancing WithThe Stars” track record of younger and athletic type winners.  Kirstie executed her dance routines with effortless grace and style, even spunk and courage in doing that tumbling routine in her final free dance.  Secretly, I had hoped that she would be the first senior contender to win the mirrorball, but, let’s face it, her competition proved tough to beat.  But DWTS champ or not, Kirstie has proven that regular strenuous dance exercises weren’t just for winning trophied recognition.  It could also lead to a healthy body from the weight loss success. 

From her first DWTS dance with partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy to her last routine during the May 24th finale, Kirstie’s dress size reportedly shrunk from 12 to 6.  This fact was demonstrated by the dance outfit she wore on the first episode which had to be adjusted by 38 inches to fit her for her finale performance.  That must have been a WOW moment for Kirstie!  That in itself was a huge accomplishment!  If nothing else, Kirstie has manifested to women everywhere (specially those who’ve tried to banish the extra pounds, but never quite succeeded) that dancing can bring weight loss results.

I’ve always been a Kirstie Alley fan because I believe that she’s an authentic human being.  She embodies the “take me as I am or leave me” kind of gal, someone who would say the most outrageous (and funny) things and won’t find the need to apologize for her candor.  In one of the DWTS footages on her personal background, she confessed to once being a drug (cocaine) user.  There was no need for such intimate sharing of her past, but she might have been so outspoken to show the world that people can fall, but they have the choice to get up. 

I think that with her recent DWTS adventure, Kirstie has successfully put out the message that being overweight shouldn’t keep anyone from shining.   Although I’m a member of the world’s petite population (thank You, God!), for me that’s a most beautiful encouragement to give to all the big women of the universe. 

Kirstie Alley, thank you!