"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Retirement blues

The other day I overheard a funny exchange between the bus driver and one of the female passengers.  The driver was sharing the news that he recently purchased an 8’ x 12’ greenhouse when the lady asked him:  “If you don’t mind my asking, how old are you?” 

The driver replied: “I’m 73.”

The lady said:  “My… you don’t look your age!”

Driver:  “That’s because I’m still working.”

The driver’s remark gave me a mental giggle.  Come to think of it, at that age people should be sitting in their rocking chairs, taking it easy and pondering on how life had been nice to them.  But the hard reality is, due to today’s economic battles, people are working over and beyond their age retirement expectancy.

One woman I work with is very positive that she’ll be in the workforce forever.  I advised her not to think that way because it might become her reality.  However, she said that there was no choice because if she opts to collect her government pension at the designated age, she can’t really expect to receive money that would comfortably support her.

I know a couple who have been retired for quite a while now.  Thirty years ago, they migrated to America from another country.  When they retired from their long years of employment, they decided to sell their house and possessions, pack up and return to their homeland where their U.S. pension checks can multiply and allow them to live like millionaires.  They are among the blessed citizens of America who can have the option to spend their retirement dollars in a country where the currency exchange rate would give them a life of prosperity.  If you are among the lucky ones with this kind of possibility in your retirement future, count your blessing!

Until a few years ago, I haven’t really thought about retiring and collecting Social Security.  Recently, however, I can’t help but consider this subject with some serious thought.  I have more than paid my dues in the corporate jungle and enjoying the fruits of hard work while I still can doesn’t seem like a very bad idea.  My BFF Josie is planning to retire in a couple of years and possibly work part-time.  I wish I could say the same, but I have to continue working until my mortgage payments become a thing of the past.  This is a time when I wish that I opted for leasing versus buying a home.  Because the home values depreciated significantly in recent years, many homes have become liabilities rather than assets.  My worst fear is dying with the home mortgage still unsettled.  Like most people, I’d like to leave something of value behind.

I’m sure that many senior citizens who find themselves trapped in their financial hole aren’t happy working the grind until they drop.  But it’s not a choice that they can really control unless their portfolios can take care of them.  Unfortunately, the tough economy dictates their prolonged employment so that they can cope with their personal financial challenges.

On this unpleasant note. I wish everyone well and hope that a gentler, kinder economy will not be far behind.