"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, June 28, 2012

Angels among us

Do you believe in angels?  Not the winged creatures who have the ability to fly, but mere mortals we meet in our everyday business.

Well, one day last week I met one while I was hot and bothered, waiting for my ride home.

That day at work was absolutely frustrating, probably the worst day I have spent in the workplace... ever.  I shared my ready-to-explode predicament with someone in the office.  Instead of getting the boost that my sagging spirit was pining for, I walked away from our conversation feeling attacked.  My work day went downhill from that moment, but being a pro I went about my business without allowing the let-down feeling to consume me.

I really miss the good old days when coming to work was such a genuine joy.  Many decades ago, I worked with someone named Kenneth who, to this day, I consider to be the best boss in the world.  Despite his corporate executive responsibilities, he always had time to chitchat with the "little people," literally, because in the country we worked in, everyone was miniature compared to Kenneth's tall, overpowering presence. 

Today Corporate America is all about getting-the-job-done-so-that-we-can-stay-in-business mentality.  Amen, brothers.  But let us not forget the glorified slaves who make sacrifices so that the bottom line continues to shine.  

I am completely resigned to the fact that I may never work again for a company that takes care of the people who take care of the profit margin.  But my Pollyannaish mind cannot help but wish that company owners and business leaders would see the importance of making their employees feel rewarded.  A joyful staff makes for a profitable organization.  Treating employees well brings good business karma.  Just ask the Prosperity Minister, Joel Osteen.  Does anyone ever wonder why Oprah Winfrey continues to be rich and powerful?  The lady genuinely cares for those who make her look good and she shows it!

Anyway, back to the subject of angels.  As I tried to divert my mind from the unhappy episode at the office by working on a word puzzle, a gray-haired man came to join me at the bus stop.  He carried a case that looked like a guitar container.  He asked if he was at the right gate for his ride to wherever he was scheduled for music practice.  After a bit of small talk, he offered me a card that listed a link to an online Bible which I gratefully accepted.  We got to talking about spiritual stuff and how politicians are messing with our sanity.  I noticed that he had the most angelic looking face I had ever seen.  He had the glow of someone who had found the Lord.  Without any encouragement, he started singing a song that praised God's goodness.  I thought that was so charming and before I knew it, my day-old sadness melted in the hot afternoon air.

In other words, that total stranger was the angel who lifted the burden from my heart.  Whoever you are, sir, a million thanks!  I came home with a really big smile on my face.

I totally believe that people come into our lives for a purpose.  That man came from out of the blue to bring back the joy that got away from me that day.