"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, March 20, 2011

The greatest wealth

For ten days a couple of weeks back, I thought I was on my deathbed.  An extreme case of cough and chest congestion hit me at the close of winter.  I had never stayed away from work for five days, but although the spirit was willing to work the grind, the body had given up.

The many winter mornings standing in the bitter cold waiting for the bus to take me to work had obviously taken their toll on me.  No matter how many countless Vitamin C drops I swallowed, there was no stopping the terrible illness that overcame me.

It was then that I was reminded of how precious human good health was… how not even all the money in the world could take its place.  I once worked with a woman who claimed to have never suffered from a migraine headache.  What a lucky creature!

On Monday last week when I felt good enough to venture out of my home to go to work, it was an occasion to celebrate.  Thankfulness for overcoming my illness accompanied me as I sat happily on the bus that would take me to the office.  That same day I received my BFF’s (Best Friend Forever’s) package containing all the sweet goodies that my mouth salivated for.  I felt that I was on my way to improved health.  It was an awesome feeling and my heart overflowed with gratitude from the sheer thought.

Now more than ever, I can genuinely relate to those who suffer from some kind of illness.  I understand why ill health can bring on a bit of crankiness and a loss of self-confidence.  It’s tough to feel cheerful and think bright thoughts when the body isn’t feeling upbeat. I was home nursing my illness when the television brought the news of the devastation in Japan.  I saw pictures of horrifying chaos after the 8.9 earthquake and tsunami.  What used to be well constructed homes and commercial buildings became bits and pieces of terrible destruction.  After seeing the harrowing images of Mother Nature's wrath in Japan, my spirit had a hard time soaring.

That catastrophe in the Pacific made me think how fragile, not only life, but everything in our world is.  An organized and concrete establishment can fall and crumble at any minute at the discretion of the forces of nature.  A colossal calamity can wreck havoc no matter how humanly prepared we are.   This is a good time to drop down to our knees and say thanks if we are enjoying safety from any harm, and ask for continued protection from our Divine Father.  I can’t speak for anyone else, but it’s when bad things happen that I believe that humanity is being reminded to turn to their God.  Materialism has sadly taken over human lives that God has taken a back seat to modernization.

It would be good to always remember that all things nice and wonderful, most specially our good health, are Divine gifts that didn’t come from man.  Such blessings are here for humans to enjoy, thanks to our God, in whatever form or Name we call Him.