"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Microsoft magic

I’ve always known that Microsoft wouldn’t be where it is today if not for the quality people employed by this mega billion dollar company.

Recently, I had a first-hand encounter with the Microsoft technical support staff and how they made my anguished computer life go back to normal.  One day last week, a pinkish notice suddenly appeared at the bottom of my home computer screen side by side my Microsoft Security Essentials green check mark.  The latter was confirmation that my computer was protected.  The message identified itself as the Cybercriminals Activity Association and the notice conveyed that my pc had not passed the test for cyber criminal activity.  The message sat there for a few days until Sunday morning when I accidentally (so I’d like to convince myself) clicked on it.  Quickly came another pop-up with a message prompting me to scan for viruses.  I should have listened to an inner voice telling me to stop, but my curiosity got the better of me.  The pop-up populated fast with an alleged Trojan malware in my hard drive files.  That should have been a red flag!  But nosy me pursued my reckless curiosity.  I wanted to see what message would come next if I hit the Continue button.  Of course, it was a solicitation to get a system cleaner installed for:  $89 lifetime protection; $79 for two years; and $69 for a year.  Then there was a pricing for $8.99 for 24/7 (whatever that means).  Of course, I didn’t buy, nevertheless it was too late.  The hacker had entered my computer and stalled my access to the Internet and a Word document I was working on.

I panicked, of course, because the last time my computer got hit by a nasty virus, I had to take it to the nearest Best Buy for repair.  That trip wasn’t cheap!  In addition, I had to wait in line and waited for days to be told when I could pick it up.  But I told myself that things happen for a reason… that there’s no point succumbing to a heart attack.

I called my telephone company that provides my broadband service.  Ed really tried his best to accommodate me and troubleshoot the problem.  He told me never to buy anything from hackers posing as solicitors as that Cybercriminals Activity Association obviously was.  Remember, it was a Sunday (my day of sloth), but for Ed it was just another day at work.  When he had exhausted all possible avenues, he recommended that I do a full scan.  Since that would take hours, we had to say our goodbyes.  But not before Ed gave me the toll-free numbers for Microsoft and Hewlett Packard technical support centers.

Although the full scan was in progress, I decided to give Microsoft a call to see what advice I would get.  The guy told me that once the scan report indicated a problem, I should call back and I would be assisted in the right direction.  Unfortunately, when the scan was a done deed, indicating the presence of a Trojan virus, the help center was closed for the day.  The malware had been removed, nevertheless, my Internet access remained blocked.

Since Friday I had been suffering from a terrible cough and chest congestion and the PC situation wasn’t helping to make me well.  I figured that there would be another time to take care of this malware problem because I was absent from work on Friday and was looking forward to seeing my work area again.  But God was really looking out for me.  When I woke up Monday morning, I knew I couldn’t venture outside my home with the pain in my throat and the congestion in my chest.  In other words, another sick day!  But in reality, I knew it was God’s way of letting me know that it was a good day to resolve the malware problem and get that nasty hacker out of my cyber world.

Anyway, even if I was coughing up a storm and feeling the monster tickle in my throat, I went to work to get the malware deleted from my cyber world.  God was guiding me throughout the process.  He prompted me to dial the Microsoft technical support number at 8:

Well, the troubleshooting efforts (from the call center to the malware expert) took two hours.  It cost me not a lot of money, and I didn't have to go anywhere carrying my computer.  The remote assistance from another continent was priceless.  We overcame the barrier of accents and time differences to get the work accomplished.  I found out from Madhu that it was almost her time, twelve hours later where I am.     

What can I say… Microsoft, you ROCK!  I am one among gazillions who appreciate you.  Now I'm a really big fan.  Thank you!