"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, August 5, 2011

Prayers for travelling people

How many of us bother to say a prayer before we embark on a journey?  Many spend time getting all wrapped up in the excitement of a trip that offers a refreshing change or the much needed breather from the workaday world.  Be it a short trip to work or a long distance travel to a fascinating destination, it wouldn’t hurt to pause for a moment of spiritual silence.  The only constant in this planet is uncertainty.  It will certainly do us a world of good to seek protection from a Higher Power so that we remain shielded from harm in life’s unpredictable journeys. 

TRAVELLER'S PRAYER # 1 (Before starting a Journey)


My holy Angel Guardian, ask the Lord to bless the journey which I undertake, that it may profit the health of my soul and body; that I may reach its end, and that, returning safe and sound, I may find my family in good health. Do thou guard, guide and preserve us.
Amen.

TRAVELLER'S PRAYER # 2 (Before starting a Journey)


O Almighty and merciful God, who hast commissioned Thy angels to guide and protect us, command them to be our assiduous companions from our setting out until our return; to clothe us with their invisible protection; to keep from us all danger of collision, of fire, of explosion, of fall and bruises, and finally, having preserved us from all evil, and especially from sin, to guide us to our heavenly home. Through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

A HIKING PRAYER


Lord Jesus, Help me to be straightforward like the sky-seeking redwood tree. May my generosity be like the sap which ascends and nourishes. May my soul be clear like the spring water at its origin. May my will be like the faultless granite. May You be always throughout my life a constant companion. May the cross which rises at the crossroads be for me like the meeting of a friend.
Amen. 

THE MOTORCYCLIST'S PRAYER


O, dear Father, I ask for you to watch over me as I ride from point a to b. Help all other motorists to see me clearly and help me to stay out of their way. Bring me back to my family in one-piece dear God, these things I pray.
Amen.

THE MOTORIST'S PRAYER


Grant me O Lord a steady hand and watchful eye. That no one shall be hurt as I pass by. Thou gavest life, I pray no act of mine May take away or mar that gift of Thine. Shelter those, dear Lord, who bear me company, From the evils of fire and all calamity. Teach me to use my car for others need; Nor miss through love of undue speed The beauty of the world; that thus I may With joy and courtesy go on my way. St. Christopher, holy patron of travellers, Protect me and lead me safely to my destiny.