"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jobless holiday weekend

Typically when a holiday rolls around, I would be looking forward to the extra day tucked to the two-day weekend like everyone else (people who are gainfully employed, that is).  Unfortunately, since the first of the month, I had found myself in a funk.  Call it a state of shock after my layoff... or suffering from a feeling of denial that once again, after seven years of salaried living, I am forced to hit the job hunting trail.

My friend of more than two decades, Mary (also unemployed after her layoff three years ago), and I met for lunch last Friday.  We could have scheduled our get-together on the first of the month, the day after I was officially unemployed.  However, that Thursday wasn't a good time to socialize even with long-time friends as I needed the day to spend feeling sorry for myself.  Yes, as much as I hate to admit it, I had to have a day to wallow in self-pity!  You see, I had to get the negative, self-destructive emotions purged from my system before I can completely move on and positively interact with humanity.

This is the second time I've lost a position in a company where I had worked for many years.  Therefore I am entitled to feel unduly dismissed and unappreciated.  Perhaps I feel very sensitive because in a few months, I'll be turning 60, and I'm at a time when retirement looks totally enticing.  Like many folks who lost their jobs unexpectedly, I have to go with the mass flow... even if it means never getting a response to the often asked question...  WHY?  And why ME?

In addition to the rude postponement of my retirement planning, for someone who has double-checked loyalty as a strong suit, this recent dismissal from the workplace only emphasized the meaning of Corporate America's betrayal.  Silently, I have pounded into my head that never getting appreciation from employers for work well done is simply... today's brutal, but honest, reality.  It's time I get it!


Perhaps my shocked state has anaesthetize me from recognizing the glimmer of hope in the horizon.  You see, on my last day in the office one of the guys I worked with shined a bright, auspicious light to my path.  He happened to be married to the regional president of a dynamic organization.  As luck would have it, there was an immediate opening in that company for my background and qualifications.  The gesture was totally unexpected because the man had struck me as unemotional (therefore, uncaring), but he went out of his way to extend assistance.  Bless his heart!  I would like to think that he acknowledged all my hard work and would rather have my skill set benefit his wife's company than simply go to the wayside.

The following day, Mrs. Prez's executive assistant not only shot me an e-mail, but contacted me by telephone requesting for my resume.  He also took the opportunity to give me an orientation on the job available.  The position, as it turns out, is not a replacement due to someone's departure, but a newly created job.  I should have felt ecstatic, but to be honest, I was still overcome by that sad emotion from losing my job.  I must snap out of this dour mood because, if it's Jesus's Will, I might be reporting to a better and great work environment sooner than later.

In the meantime, I should make an effort to shrug off this morose cape that has found its way onto my shoulders, occupy my mind with happy and hopeful thoughts, because before I know it, and even if I'm on the verge of turning 60, I might be gainfully employed again.  Thank You, Jesus!