"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, September 23, 2011

Mid-life job hunting

This American summer had been a time of unexpected stress.  In mid-July my employer's Chairman called me into his sacred sanctum to deliver the bad news.  Our major investment partner didn't want to continue the corporate marriage.  As a result of this development, our company had no recourse but to restructure. 

Restructure as in downsize.

My immediate verbal response was:  "Should I start looking for a job?"  The Chairman hesitated and I realized that he didn't expect me to read his mind.  He looked sad as he said that looking for work wouldn't be such a bad idea.  Although his candidness was appreciated, I couldn't help but feel more than a tinge of disappointment.  I had set my heart on retiring in that company.  Looking for work now simply messed up my Pollyannaish intention.  After all, who wants to start over at almost age 60?

Two weeks after our meeting, I remained in denial.  Due to the work I had done for the company, responsibilities that involved revenue-generating projects, I was under the impression that my position would be safe.  In addition, throughout the stages of layoffs over the last couple of years, I had demonstrated team player abilities.  I figured that someone needed to pick up the slack and make sense of the madness.  Stepping out of my box was a natural instinct.  It was the only way to go.

Unfortunately, my employer is just like every company in America, operating strictly on the dictates of the bottom line... the profit margin, if you will.  No matter how employees cooperate with the changing times and pick up extra responsibilities in teamwork fashion, layoff eventually becomes a sad reality.

My complacent world got rattled on an early August late afternoon when my Vice President broke the official news:  my position was being eliminated.  Not after the third quarter, but one month short of the quarter.  That meant being jobless as of September 1st.  That finally got me motivated to look for employment. 

The very first online job posting I responded to resulted in a telephone interview.  I couldn't believe it!  I posted my application on a Friday and seven business days later I was on the telephone with the Human Resources representative.  I haven't had interviewing practice in seven years and I have to admit that I flunked it.  Well, the realization dawned on me when the woman never called back nor did she respond to my e-mailed Thank You note.  Then returning home on my last day at the office, I found the HR rep's e-mail stating that I wasn't being considered for the position.  I had to convince myself that my salary was the dealbreaker.  In my over-confident mind, I knew that I could deliver the job, but the payroll number (mine) wasn't what they were looking for.

I should have been disappointed, but I'm much older now.  Nine years ago when I got laid off and had to undergo the job search process for two years, the whole routine seemed too intimidating.  Back in the 1980's, after I visited a company to fill out a job application and do an interview, when I got home in the afternoon there was a message offering me the job.  Since then almost 15 years of gainful employment with one company gave me the false sense of assurance of a healthy retirement at the end of the road.  Unfortunately, Corporate America changed drastically over the years.  Somewhere along the way, Corporate America ceased to care.  

You would think that because the job search these days involves the online process, getting hired should be quick and painless... right?  On the contrary, it's really much more complex.  Once you hit the Submit button, you don't know if and when your paperwork will get noticed.  For all you know, it might just end up in a cyber dark hole.

These days my consolation is that I know that the applications I had submitted haven't been ignored because I have so far received two rejections.  If you ask me, a decline is good news.  At least I get a confirmation that my application effort was not in vain.  If I don't hear anything, that would be a big cause for worry!   Now I know that if a job is meant for me, I'll get it.  So I'm taking my time and leaving my options open. 

Although I never expected that I would be in the same boat as millions of people now, job security, let's face it, is as elusive as a gain in Wall Street.  The only way to deal with a job hunt in middle age is to maintain an everlasting positive outlook and keep hoping for the best.

If you're like me... past middle age (on the verge of retirement even) and starting over... welcome to the club!  Although the horizon right now looks bleak and disenchanting, remember, even this shall pass.  If we persevere and never lose hope, we will be back on the saddle... working for the retirement we deserve to enjoy.  Best of luck, everyone!