"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de Mayo

Today is Cinco de MayoAs Hispanics or Mexican food loving citizens go crazy over their "national holiday," I can't wait to go to my favorite Qdoba and savor what I usually take out:  a Naked Grilled Chicken Burrito!

The one thing I sorely miss about my former workplace (the company that laid me off last year after seven years of loyal service) is the Qdoba that sits right outside the office entrance.  I stayed away from that "high quality fastfood place" (as a blogger puts it) during the first few years of employment, but eventually developed a serious Qdoba enchantment.  Many work days I intentionally "forgot" my homemade sandwich so that I could have an excuse to got out at lunchtime and satisfy my burrito craving.  For those many trips, I earned many freebies as well.

Each time I would fall in line waiting to be served, I always found myself mesmerized and entertained as the counter folks prepared the customers' orders.  The burritos they put together are the biggest I have ever seen!  My order was typically quick:  a serving of cilantro lime rice and pinto beans on a plate, followed by a dumping of grilled chicken, corn, pico de gallo and shredded cheddar cheese (sour cream added only if I was in the mood for it).  In less than 15 minutes, I would be out of there and back at my work desk enjoying the sinfully spicy concoction.

These days where I work, a Qdoba is miles away.  Now and then I give myself a good reason to go back to my former office location just to be able to pick up my favorite burrito.  There are two Qdoba's a few blocks from home, but I remain loyal to that place that introduced me to Mexican fastfood dining.  Besides, it is always a pleasure to see mostly the same faces who work like they really enjoy their jobs.

There are reportedly 720 calories in my favorite burrito.  I... don't... care!  Naked Grilled Chicken Burrito... here I come!