"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hanging in there



photo credit:  upsetter42
Like most Baby Boomers, my BFF Josie and I would rather be doing our thing mid-life than putting up with a must-do-it-because-we-have-to-work weekly grind.

Josie (bless her heart!) has been planning her retirement for quite a while now.  It will be her second retirement, mind you.  She imagines her post-work life going back to school and learning a third and fourth language (American Sign and conversational Spanish).  Once proficient in the sign language, she could volunteer in interpreting the liturgical services to the hearing and speech impaired in her parish church.  I think that’s awesome, specially since she is very close to seeing her plans become solid reality. 

Even if I would love to quit tomorrow, my two previous layoffs (the first one, in particular, because I served my employer almost 15 years) have put a damper on my future, pushing me further back from a life of retirement.  But, honestly, since I am a get-up-and-go kind of gal, it does not bother me much.  I could end up working in my 70's and will certainly find joyful reasons to do it.  The only problem is that Josie and I (with her sister Wilma) have plans to travel and I would love to do that without having to worry about a job that I need to go back to.

Not too long ago, working people were able to retire in their late 50's and early 60’s.  Sadly, today that is not most people’s fate anymore, thanks to the drastically unstable and disappointing U.S economy.

A former boss of mine retired in his early 50’s.  He is one of the lucky ones.  He invested well when the Stock Market was at its bull-est and paid off his mortgage early.  Of course, he has his role models (his parents who are now happily retired in the Golden People's haven in another country) to thank for setting a good example and showing him the way to early retirement. 

Since we hold our financial destiny in our hands, my advice to younger people or those just starting out in the workplace is to handle your money well.  Live within (or under) your means.  Find joy in the simple everyday things.  Do not drive a car you cannot really afford.  Venture not to exotic vacations if it will mean many years of paying off your credit card.  Save before you spend!  That plastic can give you a great deal of purchasing power, but it can wave a lifetime of financial distress.  Be smart with your money!

Planning your financial future as young as you can will reap peace of mind and tremendous joy in later years.  I wish I had that precious epiphany when I was younger.  If I did, I would not have wasted my hard-earned money on undeserving causes and fruitless undertakings. 


For right now, just like most of humanity, I am hanging in there.  On the positive side, I see it happening to make me re-evaluate my priorities.  Acts of kindness may be good for the soul, but in our material world, taking good care of ourself should be on top of our list.