"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, April 9, 2011

Kissing the day goodbye

Not too long ago (just last month, to be precise), I almost gave up on life.  A maladay hit me.  Missing days of work to stay home and get rid of the pesky virus was a rarity in my life.  I’ve always enjoyed good health and I didn't like it when I was forced to slow down and stay in bed. 

Although I didn’t get cranky like some folks become during episodes of poor health (as illness has a way of robbing us of our self-esteem), for the first time in my life, I thought that I wouldn’t wake up the next day to see another dawn.

My recent incapacitated situation got me thinking:  What if today is the last day of my life?

A morbid thought, I know, but, come to think of it, some people have died on the day they didn’t plan on dying!  For instance, at my bus stop blocks from home, a man waiting for his ride got hit by a bus.  He was simply minding his own business, standing by for the ride that would take him some place, and moments later an ambulance rushed to the spot to take him to the hospital instead.  He never made it.

In another instance, a man was crossing the street, but never made it to his destination.

Quite recently, a family of five sat in their truck, most likely enjoying each other's company, when a surburban driven at high speed by a female driver landed on the truck and caused the family's instant demise.

A few years ago, someone I knew choked to death right in his office during lunchtime.  Everyone who knew him thought that he was too young to die.

Let's not forget the horrible 9/11 terrorist-inspired tragedy in New York City more than nine years ago.  I'm sure that the thousands of victims of that sad time thought that they were going home at the end of the work day to their loved ones.

The victims of the latest earthquake and tsunami in Japan never anticipated the end of their lives.

Such instances make us realize the fragileness of human life, that in mere moments, anyone can suddenly stop breathing.  Accepting this fact as a given, what would we do… how would we spend the final day of our life on earth, never mind that it wasn't a scheduled event in our day's agenda?

Every morning that wakes us up does not come with a guarantee that we will make it through the end of the day.  Therefore, as soon as we open our eyes, we should give thanks to our Creator for His Kindness and Generosity, His unconditional Forgiveness to all those who trespass and break His Law.  We should strive to spend the day spreading goodness and kindness, appreciating every little thing in our world, remembering that happiness comes from things that are priceless and don’t carry a price tag.  Moments spent with the people in our lives should be cherished as such occasions might never come again.  We should feel blessed that we are who we are, warts and all, living in a universe where we have been given the opportunity to prove our worth and be good at something.  When we close our eyes at the end of the day, we should feel immense gratitude for all the graces received... in the past... during the present... and in anticipation of the bright yet unpredictable tomorrows. 

Saying Thank You is always welcomed by the Universe.  Giving thanks is the least we can do for the awesome blessing of being here.  Let's say it like we mean it!