"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, April 8, 2011

Paying it forward


Some people seem to specialize
In doing thoughtful deeds.
Before you ask, they understand
Your problems and your needs.
They help because they want to,
They find joy in being kind,
And making others happy
Is the first thing on their minds.
They make this world a better place
By practicing the art
Of reaching out to others
And by giving… from the heart.

AMANDA BRADLEY



The above message was contained in a Hallmark card which I received on Wednesday morning.

The card was given to me by a fellow morning bus commuter.  On the first morning in April, she found herself in a pinch when her wallet was inadvertently left at home.  At the moment she realized that her wallet wasn’t in her purse, our bus driver was coming our way to pick us up.  I carry extra bus passes (freebies from the bus company), and I instinctively pulled out two passes for her to use.  Her only option was to either take them from a stranger or walk back home and miss the ride.

At that time, she and I were practically strangers although we’ve stood at the same stop waiting for the same bus many mornings this past winter and exchanged small talk.  Our homes are walking distance from each other and although we belong to the same homeowners association, we didn't know each other from Adam.  That day we didn’t even know each other’s name!  Since I had an abundance of spare bus passes in my purse, I didn’t think twice about giving them away.  Even if I didn’t have the free passes from the bus company, I would have given that woman the money to pay for the fare. It’s what nice people would do and I wanted to be there for someone in a bind.  There’s no telling when I would find myself in the same predicament and it would be lovely if a Good Samaritan would willingly extend help when I needed it. 

That Wednesday morning when she handed me the Thank You card, an introduction was in order.  I took the glove off my right hand to shake her hand and gave her my name.  It was then that I found out that her name was Susan.  Even if Susan didn’t hand me a Thank You card, it wouldn’t have bothered me.  I belong to the school of thinking that when we do good deeds, we shouldn’t expect any favors in return.  Setting it free makes our act of kindness genuine.  But getting a card from Susan when I least expected the gesture made my day!  I’m sure that she spent some time at the stationery store trying to find the card with the exact words that would convey her message of appreciation.  Sometimes that task can be daunting.  Not only did Amanda Bradley’s lovely words touch my heart, but the enclosed lottery scratch ticket made my pocket wear the Smiley face.  You see, I won $5.00!  The prize amount is more than the price of a bus fare.

This incident demonstrates that a good deed sowed reaps bountiful harvest.  I wish that people would aim to sow one good seed a day.  Done religiously, this action will result in a living Garden of Good Fortune.  No kidding!  Every good deed equals good karma from the Universe. 

Just imagine if the people of the world will make it a mandatory daily ritual to exercise acts of kindness.  The thought alone is mind-boggling and it brings a warm fuzzy feeling that tickles the soul.