"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, February 4, 2012

A dog comes to work day (Part 2)

A June 10th blog last year (A dog comes to work day) introduced you to two Standard Poodles who stole my heart in a previous work life.  This time I would like you to meet an adorable four-legged friend who brought sunshine on a dreary winter day.

First, let me tell you that yesterday couldn’t have started any worse.  The forecasted snowstorm came overnight, continued through the morning commute schedule, and made travel to work such a brutally cold adventure.  Snow drifts accumulated on pathways and made walking without slipping and falling quite a challenge.

I knew that bus schedules would be messed up as the roads would be filled with crawling traffic so I opted for the train ride.  The train usually gets packed in the morning and because I get claustrophobic from in-your-face mass encounters, I avoid hopping on it in the morning.  I may be picky, but not stupid.  I knew that if I took the bus ride to the office on a heavy snow day, I would not only find myself miserably cold and cranky, but seriously late for work.

When the train reached my destination, I noticed that there were less passengers who got off with me.  In any given work day morning, there would usually be at least ten people walking to the elevator or climbing the stairs to the overpass bridge.  Not yesterday!

When I reached my office building, I noticed that there was only one vehicle parked on the typically populated lot.  Either people opted to stay home or took the sensible route... take public transportation.  Having been assaulted by the frigid weather for over an hour, it was a huge relief to finally make it to the warm confines of a heated space.  Then the first e-mail that greeted me was a message from our VP telling everyone to be careful if they were driving out as the roads were icy or to just work from home.

As it turned out, most of the staff took the VP’s advice.  Only five people made it to the office… plus a lovely, energetic puppy named Ruby.

I was deep in work when I heard my two female associates making an excited commotion in the hallway.  I stood up to investigate and found them both looking down at something behind the wall.  They had ecstatic expressions on their faces.  Instantly, I knew that Ruby was in the building!

You see, I had looked forward to Ruby’s visit because the first and last time I had seen her was when she was about four weeks old, chilling out with four other puppies (her siblings, I assumed) in the back of a car.  They looked like Labrador mixes with shiny brown fur.  The puppy that was to be named Ruby looked different because she had cream colored fur mixed in with the brown. 

One of my associates attended a funeral that day and on her drive back to the office, she spotted the puppies abandoned on an open field.  She didn’t have the heart to just drive by and not do something.  Her instinct was to pick up the five and drop them off at the animal shelter.

She knew that her boss had a desire to adopt a dog and stopping by our office became a part of her itinerary.  She also figured out that if she could sell the idea of getting the puppies adopted by members of the staff, then the trip to the animal shelter did not have to happen.  Her boss (let’s call him Mr. S) might not have been prepared to take home a canine companion that day, but as the saying goes, “Love comes when you least expect it.”  Right from the get-go, the puppy with the loveliest gray dog eyes I have ever seen picked him.  Obviously, it was love at first sniff for the four-legged creature.  The deal was sealed when Mr. S couldn't resist cuddling her.

Now almost a month later, Ruby has gained pounds and shows canine prowess that makes her endearing.  I expected her to pee in every corner because aren’t dogs territorial by nature?  But no accidents for Ruby (not that I had seen anyway).  She just couldn't be contained from showing off her excitement by jumping at me and the women, running down the hallway and picking up balls thrown her way.

Although I like dogs, I don’t always extend my hand for them to sniff nor do I readily start petting them like dog lovers' tendency.  But Ruby is special and I couldn't resist giving her a body pet.  After giving me the eyeball-to-eyeball hello, she went straight to my behind and started sniffing.  I took that to mean that bad girl Ruby really liked me.  She really, really did! 

Ruby was napping when I headed out to be blasted by the snowfall again.  She was sleeping soundly, probably having doggie dreams.  Too bad we couldn't say our goodbyes!  I was certain that we would see each other again... and I can't wait for the day!

I’m sure she gives Mr. S a lot of joy.  Sometimes what people really need is the unconditional love of a canine companion.  Dogs are not only extremely loyal, they are what even doctors prescribe for healthy living.