"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day = Exercise in Spending


Sooo…. it’s another Valentine’s Day.  During my young, dating days February 14th was fondly anticipated for the very obvious reasons.

Now that I’m too old to even remember my first date, I look at today as nothing but an occasion for merchandising companies to flaunt their products and push customers to spend money to show their love for the significant others in their lives.

In the old days, a greeting card, a small token of one’s love, a bouquet of flowers or a date somewhere special were the romantic expressions expected from a lovestruck man.  These days, sky’s the limit!  It could be a trip to some romantic getaway, expensive dinner at a restaurant, or a piece of jewelry.  With the holidays just over, and Mother’s Day just around the bend, Valentine’s Day can be another exercise in spending.  I’ve heard the men at a former workplace achingly point to this fact.  Believe me, I felt their pain!

For the lovebirds celebrating this occasion, enjoy the time with your loved ones.  I would caution the ladies to not get heartbroken if they don’t receive any extravagant presents.  Just be grateful and happy that you are loved and cherished.  Material things can fade and lose their value.  Sincere love and devotion have their weight in gold!

Anyone interested in the historical facts on Valentine’s Day can go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day.

Hope you’re feeling the love!