"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Monday, March 19, 2012

Bachelor Benjamin: Journey's End

Monday (March 12th) was an uncomfortable time for me.  Not only did Bachelor Ben Flajnik pick the gir I didn't want him to end up with, I watched the finale burdened with a gas leak situation and seeing his journey end while the electric company guy in bright yellow hard hat was inspecting my furnace.

When I got home that day, there was a note left on my front door and a notice from the electric company that my gas had been shut off.  The handwritten note came from my next door neighbor who smelled gas coming from her heater vents.  When she had her furnace guy inspect her heating system, he recommended having the electric company serviceman come over for a check-up.  To make a long story short, the gas odor was suspected to be coming from my furnace!

You see, my townhome shares walls with my next door neighbors.  Our furnaces all sit in the crawl space and, apparently, there is a tiny gap between our walls, big enough to transmit lethal threats such as the invisible gas leak.

My household emergency couldn't have happened at the most inconvenient time.  You see, that night I came home excited for Ben.  I live my romantic life vicariously through "The Bachelor/The Bachelorette" and every time the Final Rose ceremony comes around, I nurture the hope that the lead would find their "happily ever afters."  Finding my neighbor's note on my front door and having to deal with an unromantic occurrence like a gas leak certainly rained on my parade.  The issue was made worse by the electric company guy's pronouncement (at the very moment that Ben was baring his heart and soul, proposing to Courtney) that, yes, there is a serious gas leak coming from my furnace... that a plumber should come and tighten a loose connector valve.  That was very late in the evening and I couldn't call for service until the next day.  He had to shut off my gas which meant not having heat overnight.  Thankfully, the weather was on my side because it turned out to be a warm winter night.  Thank You, Jesus!

Anyway, back to Ben's quest for love... as we all know, his Chosen turned out to be the girl everyone loved to hate.  Despite his wish to end up with someone who won't be unpopular with his friends and family, his heart was drawn to Courtney Robertson from almost the beginning.  He saw his present and future with her, skinny dipping or not.

In a way I can appreciate where Ben's coming from.  I know a couple of women who have been called witches by the people around them, yet are so adored by the men they ended up with... who even put them up on pedestals!  Whether we like it or not, there really is a strange, inexplicable component to this thing we call chemistry.  The sad truth of the matter is that more often than not, the attraction to someone can sometimes defy logic or reason... even sanity. 

With that said, I wish Ben and Courtney a life of lasting joy!

photo credit:  abc