"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pepita's Lechon... Philippines' best

Being "made in the Philippines," I have the great pleasure of promoting anything and everything that originates from that country.  Although it remains politically and economically challenged, the Philippines enjoys year-round abundance in cuisines.

It's been a very long while (almost three decades to be precise) since I have eaten this native delicacy fondly called lechon (pig roast).  The truth is, my mouth salivates from just looking at the pictures.  My BFF Josie forwarded these gustatorily delightful visuals (thanks, amiga!). 

There is a dinner story behind the pictures, but I'll let your imagination savor this extraordinary dining experience for yourself.  Eat your heart out!

* * *
There are two ways to have Pepitas Lechon.  First is to come over to Dedet’s home and she will prepare a degustation meal with 3 lechons of your choice for 14 people.  Bring your own bottle of wine if you wish, sodas come with the dinner.  The second way is to just order the lechons from her and serve it in your home or parties.

:-)That evening, she hosted our dinner.  Good thing I didn’t eat the whole day! I didn’t know they were going to serve 4 lechons!  I love the fact that everything in the menu is PINOY!  Even if it has a twist, the dishes are using PINOY ingredients.
Our degustation!  

Pinoy Pate made with balut

Pinoy caviar made with fish roe ( bihod )

This was supposed to be rellenong bulaklak but instead this crispy lumpia wrapper with quesong puti and melon was served

Pinoy pasta - Carbonara pasta with chicharon

You go to the terrace where there is a lady waiting by the lechon….waiting for us to come so she can cut the lechon

And here it is 

Always made with love 

Back to the table.  Dedet’s table normally fits 14 people but we were a little more than that that evening 

There is a palate cleanser after each lechon.  A Pinoy salad with mango, Chicco and longgan with a sampaloc brandy dressing

The next lechon was the GERMAN lechon 
Stuffed with herb, garlic, potato and pandan leaves!  YUMMY!!!  Dedet saw my plate and told me to go back to make sure I got the roasted garlic inside!  It made a world of difference so make sure not to forget the roasted garlic.


Palate Cleanser Calamansi Sherbet 
 
Third Lechon - CHINESE LECHON which had Machang rice inside - cashew nuts, castañas and mushrooms.  YUMMY!

Sabachara
And the last lechon
Dedet took me out to show me her pugon ovens where the pigs were cooked 
She has 4 pugon ovens!  These are all made by special order and takes about 3 months lead time to produce  
The last and my most favorite lechon was the FRENCH lechon with truffle rice.  YUMMY!!!

All the 4 lechons we had that evening!  WIPED OUT!!!  I think that a lot of the taste comes from the rice inside so I recommend that you eat the lechon together with the rice and do not eat any on its own or else you might say the rice is too salty or the lechon did not have much taste.  Have the complete experience by eating it together.

Dedet said that at the end of the day, all the leftover from the dinners, she divides it among the staff at her place so they can take it home to their family.
 
Cholestreol Sweeper - Champorado made with oats 

Dedet’s daughter, Darna, who prepared her special concoction called Darna’s Surprise  
:-) I liked it! Darna will be selling this in her booth in the upcoming BEST FOOD FORWARD
Homemade Sorbetes - Guava ice cream  

Special Dessert which Dedet explained she dumps all her favorite sweets on this - it’s sticky rice with Choc Nut, pastillas, peanut brittle etc etc  

Dedet gives a comment card at the end of the meal to everyone, I wrote her a Thank you note :-) Thank you Dedet for discovering a great way to serve lechon!