"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, March 18, 2012

Delivering the news

My weekend newspapers used to come from the newspaper stand around the corner. One day the metal box that had become a fixture on that corner of my neighborhood simply vanished.

Back in those days I enjoyed driving anywhere and the missing newspaper stand gave me another excuse to drive to the nearest supermarket.  Later the novelty of picking up the newspaper and paying for it on the counter eventually wore off.  It was a timely blessing that the newspaper company sent me an offer for weekend home delivery that I couldn't pass up.

For about five years now, the weekend news have been arriving outside my front door.  In the beginning my newspaper carrier was pretty considerate, reason he tops my holiday gift list.  Over time my newspaper had found its way on the front lawn, its plastic cover wet from the sprinkler system.  Recently, I have noticed that most Saturdays I had to walk down my front porch to get the news.  That's quite alright if the weather's kind.  But lately it's been snowy and digging the newspaper under a cold blanket of white has not been fun.  

I have never met my carrier so one Saturday morning I just had to find out if a man or woman was delivering the news.  That day a man quickly got out of his dark blue car and mechanically threw the newspaper three steps down my porch.

Last Sunday morning I heard a loud thud outside my front door.  I knew it was the carrier throwing the newspaper.  I opened the door and caught sight of a red car slowly moving away and stopping on my neighbors' driveways.  Instantly, I knew it was the carrier making the rounds.  But unlike the Saturday carrier, Sunday's delivery person was a woman.  Another thing that was quite noticeable was that the newspaper was at the bottom corner of the door so that when I opened it, the paper was lying conveniently on the side.  I appreciated the thoughtfulness because I didn't have to go out in the cold air nor walk down the steps.

Come to think of it, my Sunday paper had always sat where I could easily pick it up without much trouble nor effort.  I couldn't help but think that my female carrier walks the extra mile.  For her it's not just a job... it's making sure that the news not only got delivered on time, but delivered right.  She obviously put care in what she does for which I am truly grateful.