"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, October 23, 2011

Missing the snail mail

Before e-mail became the fashion, the United States Post Office was my favorite bearer of (good or bad) news.   As fate would have it, my young romantic relationships were carried long distance and receiving letters through the mail was my most cherished occasion.  You see, the mailman often brought me letters from loved ones.

With the advent of modern technology came the most precious cyber invention ever (at least in my book)… e-mail!  Not only do we save in paper and postage costs (which has probably contributed to the United States Postal Service financial hardship), but people whose communication of choice is the e-mail system have found a valuable time-saver in their contact method with the people in their lives.

These days people can talk to each other despite the barrier of distance and time zones… in real time.  No doubt about it, we live in a technologically amazing world where information is available at the click of the keyboard 24/7.

But, honestly, I can’t help but reminisce the good old days when a handwritten postmarked letter would bring joy to my heart.  When I was much, much younger, Mr. Postman was my favorite person in the whole universe.  I longed for the moment when he would make his presence known by announcing mail in our mailbox.  The truth is, being such an incurable romantic, I lived for that moment.  Nothing else mattered but the feel of a handwritten, postmarked and stamped envelope in my young hand.

These days I am still fond of the mailman even though letters via the USPS hardly comes to me anymore.  All I get now are unsolicited mail from entrepreneurs who want my involvement in their business or letters from charities who are interested in my donation.   And because it’s election time in my neck of the woods, I receive a great deal of campaign materials from candidates who are courting my vote.

No doubt about it, we live in a fast-paced universe.  People are moving at a speedy rate as though there is no tomorrow.  Although I prefer the swift and efficient turnaround of things, I sometimes crave for the slowness of tempo… taking each moment at leisure and savoring the joy it brings.  Maybe that is why I miss letters from Mr. Postman.  You see, reading a letter gives me an excuse to pause and savor that luxury. 

On that rare occasion, the world can simply wait!