"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, January 7, 2012

Birthday Proud

Today I officially became a sexagenarian.  To be honest, I don’t like the sound of the word, but there’s no denying that I have joined the Age 60+ Club.

Since my birthday last year, I looked forward to today.  Entering the sixth decade of my life… without any serious ailment, physical injury nor permanent emotional trauma, mind you… is personally considered a gigantic accomplishment.  Like most human beings, I have faltered along the way, but I never compromised my moral values and beliefs as a child of God.  I have bragging rights to never getting a mug shot!

The truth is, turning a year older today gave me fleeting moments of depression.  You see, it finally dawned on me:  I am ooold!  What hangs like a dark cloud over my head is the fact that I have really not accomplished a lot.  I promised Miriam (my former boss’s wife who has left this world) that I would write a book.  Now almost three decades later, I am not even close to getting it done!

Besides my unfulfilled writing goal, there are other things that remain unfinished.  No matter how hard I tried to make it happen, I almost always hit a wall… or got seriously distracted… or just plain procrastinated on the mission.

What gives me a great deal of comfort is that now I know that age is just a number.  Turning 60 doesn’t make me feel ancient.  It is a beautiful two-digit number and I say that with much confidence.  After years overcoming the peaks and valleys of various life stages, I can say with much pride that I am a survivor.  I have bounced back from emotional and financial adversity… I may have been temporarily fractured and many times broken, but the awesome truth is... I am still standingPraise the Good Lord!

When I look back, I feel immense gratitude for all the people who made me who I am today.  My teachers in school and mentors in life who brought me inspiration… the invaluable friendships that have brought me strength and joy… romantic relationships that taught me the "all or nothing" kind of love... the battle scars I now wear with pride and dignity.

If there is anyone I feel most thankful for, I give thanks to God for Dom and Sol, my wonderful parents who are no longer with me.  They took good care of me until I was in my 20’s… raised me, clothed me, educated me and instilled wonderful core values that accompanied my journey through life.  Children brought up by loving and responsible parents are the world’s luckiest.  I am forever grateful for such blessing.

My parents were both good and generous people, always sharing their graces with the less fortunate.  I believe that generosity is an awesome trait that is contagious.  From my parents’ example, I developed a soft spot for people who are down on their luck.

So today as I enter my sixth decade, I give honor to my mother and father for the kind of human being I have turned out to be.  My regret is that they are no longer here to appreciate what I have done with my life.  I know that they are both in a better place, watching over me and guiding me to keep me from falling.  Wherever they are, I know that they are happy... and I hope that I have made them PROUD.  Thank you, Mom and Dad!