"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Little things

Until recently, I never regarded a working elevator as a genuine godsend.  You see, my office building sits across from the train station and between the distance is a wide and busy interstate highway.  To be able to get to work, I have to go up the glass enclosed bridge and walk the approximately 250 steps to cross over above the speeding vehicles.  For a few days the elevator at the train station had been out of commission.  I had to battle the ascending 41-step stairs during commute time.  The climb would not have been bad if the weather was kinder.  But lately, we’ve had brutally cold spells and the climb had often left me breathless and painfully panting for my life.

For a few 7:00ish mornings, I negotiated that bridge totally in awe of the sunrise.  Angry orange clouds showed the promise of a new day.  I call them angry orange because the skies looked like ready to explode from the passionate flame burning underneath.  I cherished the few times I caught sight of such breathtaking view.

It’s really the simple pleasures that give me comfort and joy.  When my bus that would take me to destinations doesn’t come late, it’s a cause for gratitude.  When it snows hard and the pathways are promptly shoveled, I celebrate.

Every morning Dwayne (my morning driver) always greets me with a “Good Morning” and a bright, wide smile.  On Fridays, his typical exclamation is “Happy Friday!”  Not many public transit drivers are as friendly and happy to be doing their job and Dwayne makes the trip so much fun.

There is a guy with whom I share waiting time for the morning bus.  Even if he gets there ahead of me, he still lets me board first.  Obviously, "ladies first" is his policy.  Another man always offers me his seat on the packed train I take to work.  I am glad that chivalry is not really dead after all!

Then there’s Rebecca, one of my favorite checkout girls at the supermarket.  She is always very pleasant and polite, showing courteous eagerness at helping me and other customers with our purchases.  She’s so nice that if I don't get a chance to carry a small conversation with her, I might feel terrible about it.  Fortunately, there are usually a lot of items in my cart that we manage to chitchat during my visits.

There’s this cleaning crew guy at my office building that always smiles and wishes me "Good Night" whenever we bump into each other in the hallway.  Needless to say, his thoughtful gesture is appreciated.

A woman named Bonnie sometimes shares my ride home (only when she has to work later than usual at her law firm employment).  Every time we connect, we pick up where we left off.  Anyone within hearing distance would think that we are very good old friends.  The truth is, for a very long time we didn't even know each other's name!

Then there's the Chinese takeout girl who promptly fulfills my order.  She's no-nonsense and considerate of every customer's need to get their food fast. I appreciate that I never have to wait long to be served.    

It’s true (at least for me) that little things mean a lot.  As I have personally experienced, joy is an awesome feeling that money cannot always buy.  I wish that everyone could get high on the freebies of the world.  Daily life, unburdened by price tags and financial expectations, gives us a reason to greet the day with exciting anticipation.  If we believe in God, it's a very good reason to be grateful for the grace of being in a happy place.