"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Monday, January 30, 2012

Public love


photo credit:  film.com

It’s “The Bachelor” season again and my Monday night is in a funk.  Every time this show airs, I mentally battle over whether or not to watch it… or to start learning how to knit.

If it were an unfamiliar face, the decision would be to stay away.  But Ben Flajnik (http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelor/bio/ben-flajnik/894880) was in Ashley Hebert’s “The Bachelorette” season and, nosey, hopeless romantic me need to know how he has moved on since Ashley dumped him.

Although I like the guy, I can’t stand the women.  On Day 1 those 25 good-looking babes are all suddenly smitten.  All have signed up to go on a journey to find love and to meet their soul mate.  Basically, they are there to be offered a rose.  Why not just grow your own rose garden?!, my sarcastic mind wants to know.

I don’t understand why women with poster look qualities would bother to go on national television to be romantically matched.  I have stood outside a supermarket waiting for the shuttle to take me to work when a blond bicycle-riding guy stopped to ask me:  “Should I venture out to find MY girl?”  It was 7: in the morning and, totally unprepared for such weird pick-up line so early in the day, I wasn't in the mood to feel romantic, passing up the opportunity to meet "Mr. Right-Enough-For-Right-Now". 

Sorry if I digressed, but the point is, if there is a will there is a way!  People do not have to go public (translation:  have microphones and cameras recording their every word and action) to find love and affection.  Oh... I get it.  The girls want to travel the world on the network's dime, right?

I know, I know.  “The Bachelor” producers just want to give host Chris Harrison his job security.  But I wish that they do not have to make the girls look ditzy and desperate.  I hate it when women are made to look like fools with no brains in their heads.  I absolutely loathe seeing the girls lose their cool and behave erratically just to get one man’s (that is, Ben’s) attention.  Women behaving like fish wives look totally pathetic.

Maybe I am just plain boring and old-fashioned.  I do not like to see women fighting over a man.  Period.  I would rather see a bunch of males competing for a female!

If this season starts to send me to sleep, I think I will have to pick up some knitting on Monday nights.  Chances are, I will end up with a homemade shawl for next winter. 

And Ben?  If the rumor mill got its facts straight, The Bachelor proposed to the girl who I don't like at all (she's the most annoying in my book).  He might have ended up with a fiancee alright, but I'll hold my breath… until the next season rolls around!