"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, January 15, 2011

The bling-bling conspiracy

Cubic zirconias.  Must be the way to a girl’s heart?

I’m talking about those flashy baubles that pierced-earred young school boys wear on both sides of their faces these days.  Two out of five guys I share the ride with in the morning wear those ridiculous diamond-lookalikes.  It must be gaining oohs and aahs from the young girls at the rate the overstated look has stayed on these young-boys-trying-to-look-like-studs.

But honestly, a boy or man with pierced ears looks desperate to me.  If their ears have cubic zirconias stuck in the piercings, or some attention-calling-metal dangling from them, in my book they look trying-hard-to-look fashionable.  Really.  Seriously.

Long-haired men and boys… I can tolerate.  But dangling earrings and cubic zirconias adorning the sides of their faces?  Come on.  

Besides the flashy zirconias, I’ve seen another earring design that has appeared, if rarely, for public viewing:  painfully looking huge round hole-designed metal things that have blown up the ear piercing to alarming proportion.  To me the enlarged perforation looked torturously agonizing!   Once the enlarged earrings are taken out, will the ear hole shrink back to normal?

Listen, there’s a reason why God created man looking different from a woman.  It’s called the gender differentiation.  Man’s features are designed to look like a protector. Definition:  man of strength with power to defend his woman.  I don’t think that donning earrings even come close to that image. What the earringed-pierced-ears boy’s and men’s fashion is trying to do is to blur the obvious physical distinction… and I don’t like it!  I love to keep the male/female territories separate and I prefer my exclusive right to wear earrings.   

What’s coming next… gem-studded barrettes on men’s hair?  I hope NOT, but at the rate the world is spinning weird, it just might come to pass.  Maybe boys or men are already wearing them in some parts of the world, but I have yet to see with my own eyes.  Honestly, I dread the day!  Pony-tailed men have entered my range of vision. Believe it or not, I kind of like the look better than the long flowing mane left to flow with the wind with reckless abandon.  (Perhaps, the excuse for growing long hair is to save on barber's expenses.)  But the huge cubic zirconia earring visual is something I can never appreciate nor get used to.  Well, call me old-fashioned.

Truth be told, a man’s masculine look shouldn’t transpose with a woman’s feminine form.  When men venture into women’s fashion territory, the visual gets really disorientating.  Uncomfortable, in other words.  If it’s a case of a man being a woman trapped in a male body and needing authentic expression, the need to look feminine is quite understandable.  But a genuinely masculine man taking over what used to be for women only?

Hopefully, I speak for most of my gender mates.  We like looking at men with short hair, even bald.  A moustache or beard can make many of them look more appealing.  However, the earring factor can really be distractive as it veers away from the ultimate masculine look.

The macho men of this planet should divorce those cubic zirconias from their ears and leave them alone. Better yet, give them to your girl friends who have the right to display them proudly on their ears.  Gems are a woman’s best friend, not a man’s.