"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, January 7, 2011

Savoring Sixty

On this date next year, I’ll be celebrating my Big 6-0.  Perhaps like many millions of women, I’m confronting the occasion with so much anticipation.  For me, getting to that age doesn’t necessarily mean getting old as in getting antiquated.  Rather it means getting sharp as in getting seasoned.

It’s just a couple of digits, really.  It’s nothing compared to my paternal grandpa’s age when he laid resting in his coffin: 103 years old! 

Age 60 represents a lifetime of good and bad memories, warm and forgettable relationships, noteworthy accomplishments or none at all.  I count myself lucky that I might actually reach that age healthy and in one piece.  KNOCK ON WOOD!  Up until now, I haven’t spent more than half-day in the hospital.  I’ve never been under the knife, so to speak, unless you can count the dermatologist's extraction of a rose thorn from my finger in that category.  

My youngest brother was only 50 when he passed a few years ago.  He went to a post-Valentine get-together one evening, came home to have a late dinner and dropped to his death in his bedroom.  Although it was a sad situation, my consolation was knowing that he was in a happy mood that night, and that he succumbed to the end quick and painless.  No emergency trip to the hospital nor having to stay there for surgery and recovery.

My deceased brother was an award-winning artist.  I have two of his paintings hanging at home.  One captures an eagle in flight which obviously summarizes what my life has been.  Before his death, he planned on doing an art exhibit of his work, but it wasn’t meant to be.  I’m sure that there are other things that he could have performed had he lived longer.  One would have been trying out a new life in America.  You see, his immigrant visa notice came three years after he died.  Talk of really bad timing!  Had he lived to take advantange of that opportunity, who knows what he might have accomplished?  More paintings for my house… or personal success for himself.

My brother’s passing is another reason, besides sharing my God-given gift,  that I have committed myself to pursue my real passion.  Writing might not pay my bills like my 8-to-5 job does, but it’s where my heart is.  Since late last year, I’ve overcome my perpetual writer’s block and have devoted a few hours of each day putting my thoughts in writing.  Call it my daily journal… on the world wide web!

Although I can’t boast of any world-shaking accomplishments right now, I can be proud of the following:

     *   Never having the state I live in take care of me.
     *   Never applying for food stamps even at a time when I had a reason to.
     *   Faithfully giving to my church and the charities I believe in.
     *   Homeownership at age 43.
     *   Starting over in the workplace at age 52 and loving it.
     *   Minding my own business and calling the cops only once when I feared for
          someone’s life in an apartment parking lot.
     *   Always paying my taxes on time. 
     *   Never littering our streets and commonly shared areas.
     *   Disposing my weekly garbage properly so that the contents don’t spill on to
          the driveway.
     *   Cleaning up after somebody else’s mess.
     *   Looking back to where I came from and doing all I can to uplift the souls who
          need help.
     *   Being grateful to my mother and father for raising me well.
     *   Being blessed to have a Catholic education from grade school through college.
     *   Being fortunate to have all my friends, both those who stayed only for a few
          seasons, and specially those special people who stayed for a lifetime.
     *   Being thankful to all my significant others (boyfriends in college and
          thereafter) who taught me not to depend on them for my personal happiness.
     *   Being grateful for the family I have, even if we’ve often been separated by
          time and distance.
     *   Being single by choice and appreciating that my solo status is my path to
          fulfilling my authentic mission.

Life has been great!  There had been many roadblocks along the way, but the Good Lord has taken me to where I am supposed to be.  I’ve never been a big birthday fan, preferring to celebrate others’ getting-older occasions but mine.  Today on my 59th, I'll give thanks to God for giving me a life of substance.  Then I’ll start the celebration going for next year’s birthday milestone.  Please wish me luck!