"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When the New Year comes without a bonus

A couple of days before the New Year was a day of gloom and doom at the office. Not only was the heavy snowstorm dampening everyone’s holiday spirit, the news became official:  we were not getting the yearend bonus we had been annually accustomed to.  Although I thought that our commercial real estate business didn't do so bad, there had been multi-million dollar expenses that didn’t make last year's annual profit performance shine.

The other day on the ride home, I mentioned my disappointment to my bus buddy, Doug.  Instead of commiserating with me, he reminded:  “We’re lucky to have our jobs.”  

That statement, short and no-messing-around-to-the-point, from The Voice of Reason, promptly brought me back to Planet Earth.

Wasn’t it only last year when every time someone complained to me about their work, I would immediately remind them that they’re lucky to have a job?  Do I not practice what I preach?  Or have I developed amnesia that fast? 

So I didn’t get a yearend bonus.  But the other amazing truth is that I have a steady paycheck all year-round!  When I wake up in the morning, there’s one place I know that I have to go to that pays me well for my time.  Not like in the old days (those dark days of unemployment) when I would open my eyes each morning and wonder if some company would call me for a job interview.  Or wish that Monster or CareerBuilder would have postings that I could submit my resumes to.

Last Monday (the first work day after the New Year holiday), one of the women called in sick.  Please note that she's healthy as a horse.  Another came to work after lunch and made no bones to hide the fact that she was unhappily dragging herself to her office.  I suspected that both women did it purposely to express their disappointment and resentment over the no-bonus corporate decision.   After all, actions do speak louder than words!  I don’t blame them because I know for a fact that they worked harder last year than any other due to a few layoffs in our corporate environment.  When attrition happened, everyone had to pick up more work load than we’re used to.  That includes picking up beyond-and-beneath-the-duties outside of our official job descriptions.  I’ve been doing out-of-my-comfort-zone responsibilities myself and that’s why not getting the extra compensation before the New Year was totally heart-breaking.  To me it felt like not even getting the Thank You that I absolutely deserved!

However, my no-nonsense friend Doug was right.  We’re very blessed to even be able to keep our jobs.  We’re fortunate that there’s a paycheck still coming to help us with our living expenses.  We should feel lucky that we can wake up each morning confident that our companies need our input and support.  It’s a blessing that is far more valuable than a yearend lump sum!

A bonus would have been really, really, really appreciated.  But, come to think of it, like everyone else in the universe, I would rather be perpetually gainfully employed than enjoying yearend ecstacy!  Thank You, Jesus!