"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The no crossing pedestrian crosswalk

Anyone who’s ever taken the pedestrian crosswalk in a big city when the light turns GO for pedestrian crossing might have had the same experience as many people.  Not able to promptly cross over because motorists turning the intersection corner won’t let them. 

Reasons?  Let me see… it could fall into one of the following excuses:

(1)  Pedestrians are totally invisible to them.
(2)  Pedestrians have no right to make motorists late for their appointments.
(3)  Motorists think that pedestrian crosswalk light notwithstanding,
      they have the right of way.
(4)  Motorists are in a big rush and can’t be slowed down.
(5)  Running over pedestrians has become the roadway trend.

Pedestrians will become endangered species of society if something doesn't get done soon to remedy this increasingly prevalent problem. Personally, it’s really frustrating to have to wait for the light to let me cross, especially in brutally cold weather, only for the turning cars to prevent me from exercising my right to cross the intersection.  It’s almost like taking away my birthright as a law-abiding and tax-paying citizen! 

I think that it’s time for law enforcement to turn this nasty situation to their advantage.  I recommend imposing a fine on those irresponsible motorists for such an irritating infraction.  For every guilty driver, the cops will make money to pump up their coffers.

Here’s why such a drastic ticket measure needs to be implemented.  Pedestrians have actually been hurt by driver negligence.  One full-term mom recently lost her baby when an SUV run over her on the crosswalk.  Twice I almost got hit by a car as soon as my foot touched the crosswalk while the light was on for pedestrian crossing.  Both times I wasn’t sure if I would die from (a) a heart attack, or (b) being hit by a metallic killer.  Both times I saved myself by backing off even if it was my right to cross.  The thing I found incredibly strange was that the drivers didn't bother to put on the brakes despite our near collision!

But even if the close calls happened some time ago, I can’t help but think of what might have been.  I could have ended up sprawled helpless on the middle of the intersection, clinging to dear life, or suddenly dead.  Any way I look at it, it’s not a very pretty picture.

There... I got it off my chest.  Thank you for listening!