"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mount Believe

Yesterday I had a good excuse to play hooky from work because I turned 59.  Actually, it was a scheduled vacation leave and everyone in the office was aware of my absence.  You see, where I work, we are encouraged to send an inter-office notice via email of our out-of-office schedule.

As far as I know, I seem to be the only one religiously complying with such unwritten corporate policy.  One of the women went on a trekking tour in Machu Picchu, Peru last year, but didn’t notify the entire company.  Her notice email reached only those who were expected to take up the slack during her two-week absence.

Somehow that didn’t quite sit well with everyone concerned.  I resented the fact that my own work in the office hardly allows me the luxury of being away for more than one day at a time.  During my orientation with the Human Resources representative almost seven years ago, I was told that a two-week vacation wasn’t encouraged.  If he was joking, I don’t think that my first day at work was the appropriate time to make such a long-lasting impression.  You see, I tend to absorb and store everything I’m told during my training period.   Therefore, even now I’m almost scared to take three consecutive days of leave unless I’m on my deathbed!  Obviously, being laid-off in my previous employment has had a traumatic effect on me.

Back to yesterday’s away-from-work adventure… The highlight of my day was my bus trip up the mountains.  The start of that journey had an auspicious start actually.  As I reached the bus stop, a suited gentleman sat under the waiting shed and greeted me with “God bless you.”    I thought that was really sweet and I couldn’t help but respond with “God bless you, too.”   Then I noticed that he was carrying what looked like a mini bible.  Everybody who passed by received the same “God bless you”  greeting.  Blessing people obviously is that man’s way of saying “Hello” or “Good Morning.”

Not many people have the habit of greeting strangers with “God bless you.”  I’ll mentally say it to everyone, but not out loud.  Or I’ll say it to friends and people I know… people I’m familiar with  It might be uncomfortable saying it out loud to strangers because I’m not sure what the reaction might be.  If that gentleman’s goal is to spread goodwill and God’s blessing to every man and woman who comes in contact with him, then God bless him for his “God bless you” mission!

The one-hour trip up the mountains was what I needed to get away from the office “no yearend bonus” blues.  The negative vibes at work haven’t done much for my morale and it’s just the start of a new year!  I needed to break loose from that unhealthy environment even for just one work day.  What better way to do it than on my 59th birthday!

I sat on the bus like a little kid on a field trip.  Every passing view was like a fresh experience even though I've taken the same bus ride so many times in the past.  The recent snowstorm didn’t leave much evidence on the scenery.  The blankets of snow were absent from sight!  We passed by a lake that looked like a mirror.  It was obviously still frozen because countless pigeons sat still on its center.  It was an awesome picture!  Truly a Kodak moment.

The mountains that normally wear white at this time of the year were in a brown mood.  Pine trees and all kinds of vegetations stood majestically through the rocks.  Every time I make the trip and see that sight, I always recall that long ago time when two fellow passengers were looking out the window and marveling at the trees-on-the-rocky-mountains postcard view.  The woman was gushing over the beautiful landscape and how the trees looked awesome growing in between the rocks.  Then she wondered aloud:  “How can that be possible?”  The man’s response:  “Because God takes good care of them.” 

We believers say Amen to that profound observation, but the atheists among us don’t get it.  Someone has to be designing the landscape and watering those mountain growths so that the scenery remains lovely to look at.  Only Someone with boundless talent and infinite power can accomplish such an amazing responsibility.

I hope that others share my personal view that looking at the mountains is one more reason to believe.