"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, January 21, 2011

The gift of giving

My friend celebrated her never-mind-how-over-the-hill birthday this week.  I sent her a card with the Franklin bill enclosed.  She called me at work which she seldom does because she respects my desire to keep my personal affairs outside the office.  But she needed to call because she didn’t think that I should have sent her the money. 

According to the birthday girl, I could use the moolah myself.  I told her to just say, “Thank You, Lord,” and move on.  That being unreceptive to the blessings of the Universe will keep good things from coming into her life.  She has been unemployed for two years and I can imagine how even a penny coming her way feels like a manna from above.  I went through a two-year period of unemployment once.  Therefore, I certainly can relate to her emotional pain and financial concerns.  Extending a little bit of financial assistance is not only my way of showing that I'm her friend in need, it is also a gesture of giving back.  You see, there was a time when she was there for me, too.  You can say that I have the memory of an elephant!

I understand that many people are embarrassed to receive money.  Are you one of them?  In Asia where I grew up, money-gifting is a way of life. In fact, it’s typically the norm rather than the exception.  Call it a lifestyle.  Asians give money to bring good luck to the recipient and to attract abundance for themselves (the giver).

Personally, I prefer to give cash than material items because money can be used to buy something that the receiver really needs or desires.  Or the cash can be saved for the future.   Or can be spent to buy investment stocks that can grow with time. Or it can help pay for the major expenses of living.  Money gifts allow more flexibility.  The only option for a material present is a trip to the refund counter in the store.  Or that practice that has now become acceptable:  re-gifting.

Although I seldom receive cash presents these days, I have been given generous gift cards in every occasion. The gesture is appreciated, of course, but nevertheless in every instance I feel embarassed. This feeling stems probably from the notion that once people reach middle age (as I have), they are expected to afford anything they want within reason so why should others spend money on them?   For me another reason is that I’ve always preferred to be the giver rather than the receiver.  It gives me greater pleasure to share my blessings than to be on the receiving end of a material gift that loses its value with the passing of time. 

So if you’re among the lucky people who have received cash for some special occasion, don't feel embarassed.  Count yourself blessed!  Hopefully, you spent that money wisely or saved it for the rainy day, and that you took a moment to write a thank you note or call the giver to express your appreciation.  Thankfulness and feeling gratitude never fail to attract positive vibes that will enhance your life.

For the folks out there who, just like my friend, hesitate to accept monetary presents, please consider the possibility of graces failing to flow into your life because of the mental block you create.  Think:  No one will give you money if they’re financially hurting!  It's possible that they have more than enough and wish to share their personal abundance with you. Graciously accept the blessing so that both you and the giver will enjoy positive energy from the Universe.

Besides, who can’t use money these days?