"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, December 26, 2010

The after-Christmas blitz

The day after Christmas can be a day of relief... or a day of attack.  Everyone who celebrated the season of Jesus can rest their weary bodies after the feast and reunion of families and friends.  Or they can get into the crazy after-Christmas sales with wild abandon. 

Pleae correct me if I'm wrong… Isn’t America in deep recession?  Can people really afford more shopping sprees so soon after the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales post-Thanksgiving Day?  If you ask me, I’d rather go back to the office and work myself to death.  Come to think of it, it’s because I have a job and a regular paycheck that I can pay all my monthly bills and at the same time, save for retirement.  In return for this wonderful (and now very highly desirable) circumstance, my employer deserves my never-ending dedication and loyalty.  Right?

I really believe that someone should put together a seminar on “Why Having a Permanent Full-Time Job is a Blessing.”  Seriously!  You see, I can't help but notice that many folks prefer to spend energy on complaining about working all the time than counting their blessing.  One time I was in one of my favorite hangouts (the supermarket) when Sean (the customer service guy) mentioned that he had been working too much and not getting any rest at all.  Instead of giving him the “You poor baby” speech, I gave him a piece of my mind:  “That’s JOB SECURITY.  Do you know how many people can't even find a job these days?  I'm sure that anyone would like to be in your shoes right now.”  That brought a huge smile on his face.   Then he nodded saying, “Yeah, you're right,” as though the thought never dawned on him.

At another time, I was being checked out in a deli by a cheery girl named Gloria.  I asked her if she was working on Christmas Day.  She said, “Yes, but I don’t really mind.  At least I have a job unlike other folks.”  I almost applauded and would have given her a standing ovation, but I was already on my feet.  I love, love, love her attitude!  If more people in Corporate America come to work with a photocopy of Gloria’s bright outlook, the U.S. workplace won’t be in such a pathetic mess.

I used to work somewhere that came to life every Friday afternoon.  That's because the young ones would go out after business hours for Happy Hour.  Reason:  Their weeklong work had stressed them to the bone and they needed to unwind.  Perhaps I should have reminded them back then:  “If you didn’t have your job, would you be able to afford to pay for your drinks?”

If there’s anyone out there who feels that their work is a punishment, please rethink that thought.  Freeze that mindset.  Better yet, bury it under the dirt you step on.  If you’re very unhappy in what you do for a living, take the time to look for another job.  Do something else that will bring out your passion and pizazz.  Don’t settle for something that bothers you day in and out, week after week, all month and year long.  If you plug along unhappy in what you do, and SHOW IT, in the long run you’ll be doing yourself a disservice.  By finding work that makes you shine, you won’t only be doing yourself a huge favor, you’ll be contributing to the happy glow in the workplace.  Dr. Ophrah will tell you:  "If you're in a bad place, get out."

During my two-year job search following my layoff, I made it a priority to look for my next “home-away-from-home.”  At my interview with the Vice President of the company I now work for, I told him exactly that.  I believe that got me the job!  You see, employers would prefer to hire people who have the potential of being happy in their work place.  High employee morale is always great for the company as it results in a happy working environment.  Staff satisfaction augurs well for a positive production output.

Please forgive me if I digressed.  Weren’t we talking about after-Christmas sales?  Is anyone out there doing this crazy exercise?  If yes, count me out.  I think I’d rather stay home if the sales clerks won’t be nice and friendly.  I don’t blame them really.  If they’ve been working long hours this season, they might be grumpy for being on their feet so much.  But then again, shouldn’t they feel grateful for having work to do and getting paid for it?  For their own sakes, I hope they’re feeling the gratitude.  I really, really do.