"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Holiday non-gift giving

These days we don’t have to close our eyes to know that our financial times aren’t what they used to be.  Gone (I hope, temporarily) are the days of the bull market incentive when investors could easily make money on their stock picks.  Nowadays they still can, but there’s a lot more risks involved.  I think.

I work with people who trade stocks as a part-time job.  Most days I hear them grumbling how they’re falling apart.  They don’t have to tell me that their stocks aren’t making money.  Their body language is candid confirmation of the fact.   But lately, they look happy so I’m guessing that things are looking good in Wall Street.  Or perhaps, they’re finally just breaking even!

Many years ago I tried my hand in stock trading, but the experience didn’t convince me that it was my cup of tea.  It felt more like sticking money in a slot machine, and not knowing if I would win it back, than depositing it in a piggy bank.  In the end, I probably spent more for brokerage commissions than what I earned from the risky business.  In my younger days, I didn’t mind the risk-taking (gambling, if you will) because back then I believed that getting what I wanted in life involved painful risks.  No guts, no glory! was etched in my mind.   Now that I’m very close to retirement (permanent vacation from the corporate jungle, I call it), I have to treat my hard-earned money with respect.  After all, didn’t I read somewhere sometime ago that money has energy?  Spend it unwisely and it will go away.  Perhaps forever. 

I think that the money energy principle has been proven true for many million dollar lottery winners who, a few years after their big win, ended up worse than the day they bought the winning ticket.  The stories made me sad.  Here are people who could have lived the rest of their lives in total comfort, or made a difference in the world helping world causes or the less fortunate citizens with their winnings.  Instead the typical story was wild and reckless splurging on high-end merchandise, trips and extravagances, even mindlessly giving away money to anyone who came out of the woodwork.  There might have been some who gave to charitable causes, but did all these people invest in their future?  I have to agree that counting, say, 40 (even just 4) million isn’t easy.  It might even be convenient to believe that that kind of money will never go away.  But, let’s face it, spending without saving or investing some equals financial disaster.  Obviously, that’s what might have happened to many of the world’s past lottery jackpot winners.

Where I work, just before every Thanksgiving there would be fruit baskets or packages with assorted goodies coming to the office.  You see, we deal with numerous vendors and clients who show their appreciation for our business by sending us gifts at any time of the year, especially during the holidays.  The lack of the usually overwhelming presents this year seems to send a very clear and appropriate message regarding the state of the economy:  non-profit.  Gloom and doom, if you prefer.  If big established businesses are feeling the economic crunch, the working class citizens are undoubtedly in season gift-giving denial!

This week there was some good news from the Salvation Army.  A donor dropped a diamond engagement ring valued at a couple of thousand dollars.  I thought it was a very generous gesture even if the donor's intention was to get rid of a souvenir that had unhappiness tied to it..

If we’re cash poor at this time, instead of feeling sad because we can’t buy presents for our loved ones, let’s give ourselves a chance to look at the holidays in another light.  In a non-marketing sense.  Let’s focus on the real meaning of the season.  The faith I was raised in taught me that at this time of the year we celebrate the Birth of God.  Our focus is to show our love and appreciation for all that He has done for us.  The worship should be towards Him, not on material things.  Our gift-giving can be in the spiritual rather than the material sense.  Praying for each other and for world peace is the best gift we can give anyone.

For centuries mankind has been going through the same motions:  Spending money for presents and making entrepreneurs rich in the process.  As a result, many people pay for gifts with money they don’t really have.  They end up in credit card debt and go through their lives stuck in a financial hole.   All for what?  To spend life miserably?

Bad holiday gift-giving habits can be a thing of the past.  If we can afford the gift-shopping, fine.  If not, let’s celebrate the holidays spiritually abundant, not emotionally spent.  Doing so will allow us to enrich our lives.  If we practice goodwill, not only this season but all year-round, the possible consequence will be living in a much happier world, a better place to populate.