"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The feel-good-for-supermarkets kind of feeling

Grocery-shopping is my favorite thing to do, be it during the work week or the weekend.  There’s something about the layout and color scheme in those places that can enrich the spirit.  I think that the constant energy in those places at any time of the day… even the aimless aisle wanderings… serve a purpose and contribute to customers’ sense of well-being during their visits.  Despite the busyness of the place, the harmony there is visibly manifested.

I’m not embarrassed to admit that supermarkets have become my favorite hangout throughout the years.  At every visit I can’t help but admire how all items are neatly organized on every shelf and counter.  The produce section is a visual delight, with all the vibrant colors from each and every apple, carrot, pepper, banana, grape, spinach, orange, tomato, blueberry, cherry, avocado, cabbage and what-have-you.  If anyone out there is looking for a reason to believe in God, supermarkets can be the one.  Where else can we go for a proof of living things whose reason for being is to serve human longevity?  Supermarkets (or any other grocery store) are here to serve and nourish mankind, so that bodies and spirits may thrive.

Unless you’re a neat freak, you won’t understand why I’m even noticing how every fruit is nicely stuck on top of each other.  It takes talent and creativity (even passion) to keep everything from ending in disarray.  I always feel good just walking past every vegetable, fruit, salad container and nut jar positioned on their spots without falling down and making a mess.  

The vegetables being splashed with tiny drizzles from the sprinklers is always a refreshing sight.  The exotic fruit section never fails to hold me captive because it’s where I see God’s creations that I don’t get to see anywhere!  The kiwis, mangoes, pineapples, strawberry papayas, pomegranates, sugar cane batons, coconuts in husks, even plantain bananas… we don’t find them just anywhere, not even in convenience stores, do we?

There is an unforgettable supermarket memory of a long-ago visit. As I was standing in the produce department, this frazzled-looking guy screamed, “I’M LOOKING FOR GREEN ONIONS!”  At the same time, he was looking in my direction as though I had EGG ROLL tattooed on my body!  Coincidentally, I was right in front of what he was searching for so I pointed him to where he needed to be. 

Over at the non-perishable aisles, the same neat organization is visible.  Can after can and bottle after bottle are in total alignment.  The stock clerks are either trained to be precise or are naturally systematized and should be congratulated for their outstanding organization skill.  It’s not a talent that everyone can include in their resume.

My other favorite area is the bakery department.  There I enjoy just looking at the variety of flavored breads:  cranberry, lemon, cinnamon swirl, vanilla, banana and chocolate.  The baked goods smell is captivating and even if anyone is having a bad day, the aroma is enough to improve anyone’s dour attitude. 

In the neighborhood supermarket chain I visit, the check-out clerks are a happy bunch.  One named Regina is always fun to interact with.  Her fun conversation and contagious laughter never fail to brighten my moment.  She is obviously loving what she does, even if it’s merely bagging someone else’s groceries.  I end up leaving that place with a big smile on my face, happily ready to tackle the long walk home.

It always makes me think that if everyone in our planet will be like Regina (that is, loving their jobs and wearing it proudly like a badge of honor), this huge space we live in will be better for it.  Our universe is fast becoming an ugly environment because of folks who hate the work that keeps them alive… and, of course, it shows in their daily interaction with others.  These are the people who are short-tempered over petty things, who don’t feel grateful for anything, like not thanking the bus driver who brought them to their destinations safe and on time.  People who behave like the world owes them a favor.  In other words, human faces who make daily life a not-so-pleasant encounter for the rest of us.

In the supermarket world, there’s always a chance that you can run into some really nice folks.  Perhaps it’s because the ambiance encourages nicety and friendly interactions. Anyone who can afford a trip to that place should feel blessed especially these days of increasing unemployment.  That's probably why customers are mostly in the mood to show their appreciation of life's blessings.  I can't speak for anyone else, but if one of these days I ever find myself needing a morale pick-me-up, I just might find myself in the produce area fondling a fresh fruit.