"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, December 10, 2010

Home for the mail

Every Friday after work, I jump on the train to go Downtown.  Call it the highlight of my work week.  I go someplace where it’s likely that I might receive a nice surprise:  the Post Office. 

You see, all my important incoming mails come to my POB (Post Office Box).  Fifteen years ago, I needed a home for them as I was in the process of moving.  I didn’t know how long the house search would take and I didn’t want anything to fall through the cracks.  Because my bills and letters from the people in my life carry a lot of significance, it became imperative to get them a temporary address that was safe and secure

Today fifteen years later, I am still attached to the same POB address.  Somehow it became a much needed convenience in my life.  First, there was the matter of location.  My POB then was situated a walking block from my workplace at that time.  I could drop by before or after work or even during my lunch break. 

Then that Post Office property was purchased by an investor for the construction of a housing loft and my POB relocated about four blocks away.  Although the new site was a long distance walk, It was still convenient for me.  I could drive by on the way to the office and pick up the mail, or if that wasn’t possible, I could do it in the evening before heading home.

Years later, I find myself working for my current employer in another city.  My office now is 12 miles from my POB.  At the start of my employment, every Friday evening I would drive Downtown for the mail pick-up chore.  I considered closing my POB, but something happened to make me change my mind.  Incidents of mail theft in my home community occurred which made it necessary to keep a secure alternative mailing address.  I couldn’t risk losing any of my bills and other documents as identity theft was getting to be a popular pastime for the crooks.  To this date I don’t think I’ve ever lost any significant mail other than a newly ordered box of checks.  But the missing check order only reinforced the decision to keep those important mails coming to me through my POB.

A terrible accident on one Thanksgiving eve changed the way I now handle my Friday night POB chore.  I lost my car and without a vehicle, my only option was to travel via the Downtown-bound train.  As it turned out, my POB trip actually became more convenient!  There was no half-hour busy Friday night traffic to maneuver and the train ride provided the much-appreciated quiet time after work.

When I look back, I believe that the accident happened for a good reason.  Someone up there had to send the message that I needed to get physically fit and driving wasn’t helping me get any exercise.  Now I walk almost everywhere and I’ve never felt better!  The train stops a block from the Post Office, and the walk is usually nice and invigorating during non-snow days.  I get to clear my head of any mental clutter and by the time I get home, I’m pumped for whatever the evening brings. 

For anyone out there who loves their mail or anything that comes with a postmark, and who might like to save themselves the worry of losing any, get a Post Office Box!  For the small price you pay, a secure home will be provided for your significant mailings.  Think about it!