"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Monday, December 6, 2010

Washing and airing dirty laundry

For the faithful, Sunday is a non-manual labor day.  The Sabbath is supposed to be the day of rest and worship.  It’s when the Designer of our Universe took a break after all the hard work He did on the previous days of the week.  I believe that’s why the working masses get a break from their jobs too.  Not only to rest their worn-out bodies, but to save their sanity.

I remember telling an associate once that my work was so overwhelming that I needed a vacation.  She promptly quipped:  It’s called the weekend!”

Unfortunately, for me Sunday is the day I have a date with the washing machine and ironing board.  So in lieu of a restful day like the Good Lord had designed, I (and perhaps everyone else?) have to do the household chores to prepare me for the busy work week ahead.

Like most of mankind, the dirty laundry chore isn’t my favorite activity at home.  You see, in my childhood and early adult life, I had the blessing of being in a home where live-in help was affordable and perpetually available.  The maid's existence in the home in that faraway world was, and still is, a part of the country's culture.  There the maid industry has always been a source of employment for the working class. Growing up I was lucky to have someone do the dirty job for me.  Therefore life in America has been a rather rude awakening.  Here the maid in my home is… me. 

Through the years, the washing routine has eventually grown on me.  Now I can’t wait to dump a load in the washer!  I like to have nice smelling clean clothes in my home.  During my house search days, the broker had me look at one where stinky dirty clothes piled up inside a bedroom closet.  The homeowner might have thought that we wouldn't look there, but we did.  That ugly picture has stuck with me through the years.  It might explain why washing clothes has turned into a less disliked household must-do activity today.

Even ironing has become an exciting chore.  I usually do it while watching “60 Minutes” on Sunday evening.  That way when the topics ever become boring or disgusting, I have an excuse to look down and focus on a clothing crease.  But every time Lesley Stahl is on, I need to pay attention as the earrings she dons are out of this world!

Then there’s the matter of household cleaning.  When was the last time I vacuumed every nook and cranny of my home?  Honestly, I have no memory of that time because cleaning has become my most dreaded household chore.  I love to be in a really clean environment, but tell me, and please be honest, do you really enjoy sniffing dust, confident of having sanitary surroundings when the task is done?  Are you truly fond (please don’t lie now!) of that horrible vacuuming sound that your next door neighbors probably wish would go away?  I’ve often wondered where all the dust come from when all my windows are shut tight year-round! 

“Spring cleaning” doesn‘t ring a bell because in my home it could only happen at the most convenient time of the year.  It could be in summer, winter or fall… any season but the spring! 

Wouldn't it be lovely if my long-time fantasy of having someone clean my house and cook my meals every day of the week ceases to be a figment of my imagination?  I’ll be fine doing laundry for the rest of my life.  Cleaning takes more time and energy.  Most often, some creativity to get the chore done faster is required.  Some folks call it techniqueThe cleaning lady at my office does a superb job.  Our bathroom and kitchen areas are spotless every time she’s done her work.  Perhaps I should pay attention to how she does her magic.

Cooking meals can be enjoyable, but the preparation time (including grocery shopping) is another story.  For the time it takes to go to the supermarket and cut up all the ingredients, I could have spent it producing a blog.  Saving time is why many people simply stock up on convenient meals in boxes or go to the nearest fastfood place.  So forgive me if I dream of someday having my own personal chef! 

Right now my mind has surrendered to the likelihood that I just might die being my own maid.  The thought doesn’t bother me.  As long as I’m my own master in my home, being my own maid service is not a big deal at all.