"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, December 30, 2010

The sister I never had


One of my life’s many blessings is being a member of a high school batch that has stayed united for over four decades.  Our graduation was in the late '60s.  During the recent past, a husband and wife (who met in the same high school) made it their business to track down the members by setting up our exclusive high school website.  By word-of-mouth, batch mates from different parts of the globe came forward and posted their biographical profiles, including current photos.  The result is an electronic photo album accessible to all members and even the rest of the world.

I feel most fortunate that loyalty has become a trademark of my past.  From my high school years spent at that Spanish university campus, I met Josie B. who has become my BFF (best friend forever). We met in freshman year, the only time we shared a classroom, yet somehow over the years our connection became stronger.  Today our 46 years of friendship continues to thrive.  We live in different states in America, but thanks to the post office, the telephone and the Internet, the more than 1,000 mile geographical distance has never been a barrier. We’re still the best of friends!

In this age of breakable bonds and dying loyalties, count it one of life’s great gifts to have a lifelong friend.  Come to think of it, when we were in college, Josie moved thousands of miles away to another country in another continent.  Yet despite the great distance across the vast Pacific Ocean, we managed to keep our bond intact.  Our communication was frequently erratic, but our ties never suffered from it.  I believe that because we were both blessed with a love for letter-writing, communicating on paper never became a challenge for us.  That is one precious skill we’re most grateful to the Good Lord!

Josie's witty disposition has always brought me joy and laughter.  Her sense of humor is contagious!  I remember back in the high school days, we giggled a lot.  Then as we graciously aged, the giggles mellowed into conversations filled with sage and wisdom.  Although she's easy-going, Josie learns her lessons well.  In high school, she was once caught coming in late by our high school principal, an incident that inspired her to coin the word “tardyphobia.”  You see, our principal (may she rest in peace!) had the personality that could send anyone cowering in fear.  Since that encounter with the principal more than forty years ago, she has never been late for work.

With Josie no topic is ever held sacred.  We enjoy no holds barred conversations of anything under the sun. Usually, once I’ve spilled my guts on whatever is bothering me, I feel great relief.  She has extended moral, emotional and spiritual support just when I needed it.  I’m not sure that many women have the blessing of a lifetime friend.  If not, they better start looking for one!

Josie and I have often wondered if we might have been real sisters in another lifetime.  If not, it doesn’t matter because we have already adopted each other in this lifetime.  Adam, Josie’s first-born, is my godchild which has made our bond stronger and permanent just like SuperGlue! 

What made us instantly click in high school was our mutual fondness for the Dave Clark Five.  Our crush back then was the same guy!  Over the years, we found out the things that we shared in common.  For instance, we're both the second daughters in our families.  We were both close to our parents who are now in a better place.  Josie and her siblings took care of their mother before she passed a few years ago.  I did my share of looking after mine when her condition deteriorated many years before Josie's parental caregiving days.  When they were alive, both our fathers were fond of growing plants in the garden.  We share a friendship with someone named Rosaline.  We both enjoy watching "Dancing With The Stars."  Recently, we realized that we have the same curiosity for our family's genealogy.  Josie's deceased mother's maiden name originated in Portugal.  My late father's forefathers have roots in Spain where a tourist place is named after the family.  Josie and I have made a pact to visit Portugal and Spain when the elusive windfall finally drops on our lap.

Throughout my grade school, high school and college years, I developed many friendships which didn't stand the test of time as my connection with Josie has.  The four decades I spent in the workplace also allowed me to establish new circles of friends.  Only my relationship with Josie has remained constant.  I wish everyone can experience the gift that Josie and I are blessed with.  We have an unconditional love for each other that knows no boundaries.  We can share our deepest thoughts knowing that there's someone at the other end who will care to listen.

Obviously, what kept our ties strong is our close relationship with our Heavenly Father.  Praying is our passion!  You see, it’s true that “birds of a feather, flock together”!  I wish that everyone would have someone to call their BFF in their lifetime.  I can’t help but think that I must have done something right because God gave me the sister I never had.  Thank You, Jesus!

Today my BFF turns 60.  Happy birthday, sister Josie!