"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The matter of hair

Yesterday’s morning ride to the office gave me a most fascinating view.  A blow-by-blow demonstration on how to create a perfect and beautiful hair bun.

A lady passenger sat two seats ahead of me.  She had lustrous, straight, black waist-length hair which was initially hidden under her white winter jacket.  As soon as she sat down, that beautiful mane of hair came out of hiding.  The woman then started twirling it tightly on the back of her head, making a tight coil first, then adding another until each layer got bigger as the twirling progressed.  When all the coils were neatly tucked into each other, she secured the bun with a bamboo chopstick.  The outcome looked
F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!  The gentleman behind her, one seat in front of me, couldn’t help but tell her what a good job she had done because the bun looked beautiful.  Her response:  "It's a necessity with long hair."  I too couldn’t help but admire the made-in-an-instant coiffeur and she did it without a brush and a mirror!  Unfortunately, I was two seats behind her and couldn’t chit-chat on the hair magic she performed in mere seconds.

I don’t know what others think, but I believe that our hair can make or break our appearance, especially our facial area. Just look at your pictures where you wear different hair styles and you'll know what I mean.  If you ask me, Fabio (21st season Sole Survivor) looked more gorgeous with long blond hair in the wilderness than the auburn, short cut he wore at the show finale.  Agree or disagree?  But Sash (third guy in the Fabio-Chase-Sash triumvirate) looked more credible in his jelled hair look than the long hair and scruffy beard he sported in the jungle.

The school kids I ride the bus with in the morning know all about hair power.  I’ve seen young girls in beribboned or beflowered bouffant style hairdos, dreadlocked hair, long fuzzy or simply flowing manes.  The boys can’t be outdone.  Many wear funky spiked hairdos while others have crazy uneven cuts going on.  I’ve seen a few with mullet hairstyles or whose heads looked like tattoos were designed on them.  Hair appearance is definitely a passionate pastime for the young of today.  If I want to know what hair styles are in vogue, I need not bother looking at hair magazines.  The parade of hair during the morning bus ride to work will do.

I probably don’t need to convince anyone that men look younger with hair than without.  But in some cases, bald looks beautiful… and captivating!  Chase (Survivor runner-up) looks clean and polished with his closely cropped hair, but I’m curious how much more alluring he’ll look with hair galore and the right cut.  He might give Keith Urban some tough competition!

For many men, looking bald is not even an option.  People who suffer from hair loss, pay attention!  I read that olive oil can give hope to those losing their hair. Every night before going to bed, rub extra virgin olive oil on the scalp.  Shampoo and rinse in the morning.  Do this for eight consecutive days.  If hair roots grow right after treatment, thank the versatile olive oil!

There’s one memorable hair disaster that happened to me when I was in my late 20’s. In those days, I worked for a company whose president’s wife owned a hair salon in the same building.  It just opened at that time, and showing my patronage for the newly opened business venture, I dropped by one day after work for a perm.  The hairdresser who attended to me was extra friendly throughout the session and chatted like there was no tomorrow.  By the end of my visit, my hair looked like a dried tightly wired wig.  It looked really ugly and awful!  The company president noticed it immediately when we bumped into each other.  He knew that I had my hair done at his wife's salon so he assured me that he would instruct his wife to repair the damage.  Then he inquired, “What does your boyfriend think?”  My response was, “He didn’t even notice.”  The president said something to me that sounded like Beethoven to my ears:  “That means he really loves you.” 

Food for thought.

That got me thinking that our significant others, if they’re absolutely into us, won’t see the superficial mess we create for ourselves.  We can have an ugly hairstyle any time or a bad hair day, but it won’t matter to them.  The reason is sweet and simple:  the inner us is who really captivated their heart.