"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Morning (un)madness

This morning I woke up an hour and a half later than the usual time I get up for work.  That meant not having breakfast at home and possibly missing my morning bus schedule.  In the past, such tardiness would have sent me in cardiac arrest mode.  Fortunately, after almost a lifetime of practice I have developed grace under stress.

I figured that if I panicked and ran to the bus stop (a block away from home), I could accomplish only one of two things:  (1) possibly catch the bus; or (2) drop dead from a heart attack.  It was unlikely that I would make it to the stop on time, not with the little feet that God had given me.  So I walked my usual leisurely pace (no matter how my stomach was grumbling from hunger), even stopped at my community mail kiosk to return a movie rental.  In other words, I didn’t kill myself worrying about catching my ride to work.  I figured that there would be another bus coming even if it meant arriving late at the office.

When I reached the bus stop, there were at least 10 people in line.  I’ve never before waited for the bus with 10 fellow passengers.  Apparently, the bus driver was late!  Just my lucky day.

Needless to say, I was able to make my usual schedule (albeit minutes late).  The point is, by not allowing myself to get stressed over a simple bus schedule, I saved myself from getting upset.  And you know what that could mean… fast heart rate… cranky attitude… unwanted wrinkles on the face… not a pretty picture if you ask me!

Let’s face it, bad days happen when we least expect it.  No matter how we try to wake up with the brightest of intentions, something can always go wrong.  And, unfortunately, sometimes when it rains, it pours!

Once I read a very good idea on how to keep a positive outlook.  It might have come from one of the numerous forwarded e-mails I’ve received over the years from friends and family in different continents.  I hardly remember the exact phrasing, so please allow me to make up my own version which I’m happily passing on: 

* Don’t complain that you have to walk a block.  Be grateful that you are not handicapped.
* Don’t feel bad about eating food with your fingers (like unwrapping a tamale to put in your mouth).  Say thanks that you’re able to use your hands.
* Don’t complain that you have to wear eyeglasses.  You’re blessed with eyes that can see.
* Never feel sorry that you don’t have a car to drive.  You’re lucky that there are no monthly car payments and maintenance expenses to worry about.  (Also, think how many vehicles are being stolen these days!)
* Don’t feel bad that you don’t have a credit card for shopping.  Be thankful that you don’t incur debts that might end up costing a small fortune someday.
* If you filed for bankruptcy or in the process of filing an application, don’t consider yourself a loser.  Think how very blessed you are for having been given a second chance.
* If you’ve lost touch with friends throughout the years, worry not.  Friends are in our lives for a season.  When their work is done, it’s time for you and them to move on.
* Learn to enjoy every moment and savor each experience.  Treat every day as though it might be your last.  By doing so, you will make every hour productive and treat the people in your life better.
*  When you’re asked to do a task, endeavor to always walk the extra mile without expecting anything in return. If you get noticed or rewarded for it, count yourself lucky.  If not, pat yourself on the back and be thankful that you were given a chance to do something.  Accomplishing anything should be your personal reward because it will give you a sense of fulfillment. 
* Don’t take home work-related issues that had upset your day.  Feel blessed that you’ve got a job that pays for your bills and keep the roof over your head.
* Refrain from being angry for more than a moment.  In two weeks, chances are, you won’t even remember what made you mad.
* Refuse to dwell on the traumatic memories of the past.  Live and focus on today and your future will astound you! 

Life is too short.  We must strive to spend time doing the things that bring us joy.

Have a great life everyone!