"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Wednesday, July 6, 2011

E-Mail quarantine

E-mails never cease to amaze me.  Every day when I check my cyber accounts, I find a variety of messages not only from family and friends.  Nowadays I have to deal with a nonstop flow of absolute nonsense bordering on… you guessed it right… SCAM.

It’s funny because complete strangers have sent me marriage proposals, inheritance notices, investment propositions and job offers.  Lesbians have e-mailed me for connections, stating that I was “the one” they’re looking for.  It’s all so flattering except for the fact that they have no idea what I look like nor do they know my gender preference.  At any rate, they’re barking up the wrong tree!

This sad situation brings me to the possible conclusion that the world is populated by too many lonely, desperate and inconsiderate people.  Worse, there seems to be an abundance of those whose full-time preoccupation is to propagate a scam, steal people’s identities and make money off innocent folks.

Spam e-mail is a vicious activity that I find very frustrating.  It succeeds only in littering people’s e-mail accounts, spreading trash in the electronic universe and contributing to cyber clutter.  Don’t people have anything better to do?  Are we so desperately unproductive as to stoop that low?

My “Do unto others” mindset is that I don’t do it to anyone so why is it being done to me?  I have enough clutter in my life to get rid off.  I don’t need all that cyber garbage to perpetually stress over!  The simple thing to do is to let the e-mail system filter out the trash, right?

Let me tell you something.  Many times in the past, I found legitimate e-mail messages in my Spam and Junk folders.  Fortunately, I fell into the habit of sifting through the garbage just in case.  Well, my proactive approach paid dividends because many times I found messages from long-time friends, schoolmates and long ago work associates sitting in that area!  Thank You, Jesus!

My BFF Josie once shared her disappointment when a former high school classmate never responded to her e-mail.  I told her that perhaps the message found its way into the “Thou Shalt Not Read”… I mean, junk... folder.  The woman the message was sent to was once a classmate of mine too and I couldn’t believe that she would ignore a message from an old friend. She is a school teacher which made the “hello-how-are-you” message oversight simply unbelievable.

My advice to everyone is to not totally ignore the spam quarantine of your cyber mailbox.  Who knows, there just might be a lovely surprise waiting to be found!