"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, July 8, 2011

Customer (dis)service

I haven’t been mad in a while.  One day last week, I found a good excuse to get upset.  My movie rental company sent me Volume 4 of a four-volume TV series.  The problem was I didn’t get Volume 3 yet.  To add salt to the wound, Volume 2 was received before Volume 1 the week before!  Was the movie rental company suffering from service dyslexia or what!

I did what I try never to do.  Pick up the telephone and let them have it. I expected a series of rings and a long wait.  Fortunately, that didn’t happen.  Mike, who took my call was very polite, very cool and seemingly unperturbable.

He said:  “I can’t believe that happened.  Your queue must have listed Volume 4 before Volume 3 and that’s why you got Volume 4 first.”  Hmmm… the guy was obviously loyal to his employer and he showed it!

I said:  “No.  I always check my queue to make sure that everything’s right.  A mistake was made at your shipping end and I find it unacceptable.  Last week, I received Volume 2 before I could watch Volume 1.  Now I get the final episodes before I’ve watched what happened before.  It’s totally unacceptable!”  I silently wished that Mike could envision a female version of Donald Trump at the other end of the line… only with a better hairstyle.

The telephone contact ended with Mike repeatedly apologizing for the incident and giving the assurance that Volume 3 would be shipped out right away.  He made my day and made me wish that Customer Service Representatives in every company would have his customer-driven attitude and sound the way he did.  Unfortunately, most of the time customers get in contact with so-called “Customer Care” people who sound like they really would much rather be doing something else!

To company managers, even CEO’s:  Call your company once in a while to check on your Customer Service staff.  If you’re lucky, you might hear a smiling voice accompanied by a "I'm-genuinely-here-to-assist-you" kind of attitude.  If not, you just might get a rather rude awakening!