"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, July 17, 2011

The blessing of good health


I have to be honest, until recently I took my good health for granted.  I’ve always enjoyed waking up in the morning and knowing that all my body parts were working.  Since February this year, I finally came face to face with the knowledge that I might not have fully appreciated something until I was on the verge of losing it.

The downer in my recent life was the cough and chest congestion that plagued me for months.  Last winter we had to deal with extremely frigid (below 0) temperatures.  Although the brutal cold spell lasted for only two weeks, early morning exposure to the bitter cold while I stood outdoors waiting for my ride to work took its toll on my body, bundled up like an Eskimo regardless.

Now that I got rid of that helpless “feeling-like-a-fractured-body” state of mind, I wake up mornings like a reborn bird wanting to fly high and soar to the sky.  Being blessed with good health is a most wonderful thing.  People who are enjoying a healthy body should do everything in their power to protect it and stay away from anything that would jeopardize it.

For instance, when the temperatures get chilly, some people don’t care if their body is exposed to less than kind weather.  I’ve seen USPS delivery workers and FedEx couriers in their shorts delivering mail and packages in snowy conditions.  Men are the worst abusers.  They don’t carry umbrellas in the pouring rain nor wear jackets or gloves in winterlike conditions. The women are more prepared for whatever kind of weather the day brings. A lot of them carry big bags to work because there’s always an umbrella, a raincoat, a sweater or an all-weather jacket for the daily commute… just in case. 

In my workplace, I always hear my male associates sneezing, coughing or sounding plain sick.  All of them drive to the office and that’s why they don’t care if the temperatures get chilly or snowflakes start to fall as they walk to their cars.  If you ask me, that’s an excuse to wear my winter wrap or headband to protect my cold ears!  I’ll even throw in a pair of gloves to make that walk warm and comfortable.

I know I should just mind my own business.  However, my good health sometimes depends on those around me.  If people I sit with on the bus or train don’t take care of themselves, what’s the chance that I won’t catch whatever they’re expelling in the air we share?  I believe that I got sick lately not only from the brutal weather, but also from all the airborne viruses in my midst.  Not to mention all the coughs and sneezes I had to put up with in a packed bus or train.

For now, I’m extremely grateful for just feeling fine.  Enjoying good health makes it easier to do the things I love to do.  If you've ever had to put up with some kind of illness, I’m sure you know what I mean.