"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, July 22, 2011

Prayers to overcome excessive behavior

Until I started my research on prayers, I didn’t know that a prayer to overcome vanity, greed over-indulgence, excessive pride nor out-of-control anger were available.  What a Eureka! moment!

A PRAYER FOR POWER TO OVERCOME VANITY


Vanity was not the way of the Lord! Through purity of soul and intent, He accomplished His Divine work. While He shared with those who listened, He submitted His knowledge to be digested, Indicating it was the way to salvation, Leaving each with the freedom to choose. The way of Jesus was free of egotism; I admire Your perfection my Lord! Jesus, teach me to control my pride: May it never reach the extent of vanity. I seek to model You as a humble child!

A PRAYER FOR MIGHT AGAINST GREED


Displaying the treasures of Your work, Jesus, You invited me to follow You, To sell my goods, to give to the poor, And to completely submit Myself to You. Desires for wealth leads to greed, Satisfaction never being reached. He who seeks no earthly possessions Is free of all avarice aspirations. Jesus, edify my weak human nature, To resist unnecessary commodities, Those classified as evident luxury. May I subdue all greedy tendencies!

A PRAYER FOR TEMPERANCE


Jesus, You practiced temperance; You were the Model of self-restraint, Never over-indulging in the temporal. My body being the Temple of the Lord, I must treat it with ongoing respect. Self-abuse destroys the body; Be it alcohol, drugs, or excess food. Lord Jesus, bestow fortitude upon me For my soul to control my body, To practice the virtue of temperance. Jesus, You are the source of my vigour. Through You, all is possible!

A PRAYER FOR CONTROL OF ANGER


O Lord, must I fear Your wrath? Retribution is Yours by right! May I never dishonour Your Divinity, My soul seeking to maintain Your love. Shape my being into earnest kindness, A reflection of Your perfection. Grant me the grace of self-control, That I may not display any anger. Should I have such an outburst, Instantly remind me to seek redress, For such is offensive to You. Anger is Yours alone to avenge!


A PRAYER FOR MODERATE PRIDE


Lord, Your creations display great pride, Achievements that continually resonate! Your Divine work luxuriates in eminence; Your Grandeur leaving me speechless! Resulting from Your intrinsic sweet nature, Exalted pride is Yours by legal right. Endow me with pride for my achievements; Sheltering me against impious vanity. May my life mirror spiritual balance, Respect and satisfaction in my endeavours. Your Divinity is reflected in all things; I behold the beauty of Your pride!