"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Monday, July 18, 2011

Walking with the Lord

“To cultivate a garden is to walk with God.”

The above statement was etched on a rock décor given to me by my friend Mary.  She knew that I had developed a penchant for gardening as I couldn't contain myself from showing off the cabbage size roses I often harvested from my backyard.  I never really pondered on its meaning until one day in Spring when I instantaneously felt overwhelming joy at the sight of all the lovelies springing out from the soil in my own backyard.

You see, a gardener is responsible for the creation of a landscape… where every flower seed should settle… which area of the garden the shady tree should call home... how the bushes should be pruned and the tree branch clipped to make them look pretty  A lot of times, a gardener has to put up with pesky weeds, but the inconvenience is more than compensated when the lush and robust greenery springs out and the flowers bloom.  A gardener needs to have the eye of a layout artist because sowing seeds in the wrong places can make or break the whole picture.

My patio garden is a small, green-packed kind of universe.  I love getting up early on the weekends and visiting it, watering every plant that graces the ground.  I think my garden appreciates the attention judging from the way that every plant is outdoing each other in showing off its glory. 

I look next door at my neighbor’s garden and can’t help but feel very proud of what I’ve accomplished.  You see, although her garden is full of colorful perennials, it doesn’t demonstrate (or shall I say... ooze with) the love and care she brings to it.  My other neighbor’s backyard is teeming with thriving weeds, blame it on the long months that the property has sat vacant.  I’ve been tempted to barge in and start pulling out the nasty invaders, but I didn’t want to be charged with trespassing!

For now, I’ll content myself with my backyard paradise.  Some people might say that it’s really nothing to brag about, but because I created it, spending many hard-working hours sowing seeds, I can’t help but feel like a garden god.  Besides, my bird pals that frequent my garden always sound exceedingly ecstatic as they circle the chokeberries.  It’s a confirmation of their approval.  If my feathery friends have fingers, they'll give me the thumbs up sign.  A gardener can’t ask for anything more!