"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

Yesterday's newspaper arrived bulging with advertising fliers for the year's expected biggest sales event:  the Thanksgiving/Black Friday lure for holiday shoppers and bargain hunters.

I confess that I don't belong to the post-Thanksgiving maniacs who camp out at dawn outside the major department stores to take advantage of the bargain sales.  People would leave the comfort of their own beds, put up with the outdoor cold to get in line for... what?

Merchandise with marked down price tags?

For the guilty, it must be a wild adrenaline-pumping exercise, but honestly, the senseless notion is beyond me.  If people can get into the habit of multiplying their hourly job rate by the number of hours they spend waiting for the store opening, they might get an epiphany on the silliness of their actions.

I prefer online shopping because I can spend as much time as I need browsing merchandise and don't have to make impulsive purchasing decisions.  The shipping cost can be the reason why many folks avoid cyber shopping.  Look at it this way:  If you have to drive around, consider the fuel cost, the time stuck in traffic and the stress the whole adventure can bring on your nerves.  Typically, a mere hunt for one item can take hours, specially if you're a woman and you get distracted at the mall.  I have been guilty of this activity in my past shopping life.  When I look back to those days, I regret the many hours wasted going from one store to another and coming home with items I didn't even plan on buying.

Store management look at after-Thanksgiving sales as their chance to drum up profits for their bottom line.  Customers are typically shopping now for the holidays.  Everyone wants to take advantage of good sales and stores like to cater to that need.

I wish everyone fun and good luck on their holiday gift search or shopping escapade for desired items they're looking for.  Enjoy the hunt for stuff at affordable costs.  But if you get tired of the sheer thought of hitting the mass-packed shopping areas, just stay home and shop online.

Do yourself a favor by shopping from home.  Chances are, you just might love it!