"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Saturday, November 19, 2011

The perpetual sweepstakes

Publishers Clearing House (PCH) has started to annoy me.

A few months ago, I entered their "$5,000 a week for life" sweepstakes, hoping to win some incredible money.  Since then, every two weeks it seems I get something in the mail containing entries that needed to be mailed back if I wanted to be their big winner.  Each time I fell into their scheme.  Who wouldn't want to enjoy a $5,000 a week for life allowance without working hard for it?  There's a rub, however.  Before I could find the entry form from the bulky mailing, I had to go over a multitude of advertising fliers of merchandise for sale.  I have already spent a small fortune purchasing some of their offerings, but I have yet to receive a dime back in the mail.

Sometime ago I bought a Hawaiian Lucky Ti plant that was supposed to bear roots in three weeks.  Two months later, it’s still sitting in water with no promising roots in sight.  Chances are, that's probably a foreshadowing of my sweepstakes fate.

Not only does my mailbox get bombarded by their advertising-packed mail, my cyber mailbox takes the hit.  And there’s always the inevitable warning that I need to respond... or I’ll be out of the winners’ circle.  One time I made the mistake of opening their electronic mail.  What followed next made me suspect that the virus my computer suffered from afterwards came from their long-winded message.

Honestly, I am fed up with the postal and cyber clutter.  After November 30th, the date when the big sweepstakes winner wil be announced, I won’t get myself attached to PCH again.

The PCH sweepstakes may not be a scam, but their nonstop process of luring customers is getting under my nerves.  Hopefully, I’m not an isolated case.  I’m sure that many folks out there have the same grievance to air.

Because we thrive on the idea of getting rich, humans are a sweepstakes-crazy bunch.  We get excited at the prospect of winning the mega bucks.  Like everyone on this planet, I plead guilty!  But now I promise, over a stack of PCH mailings, that when the November sweepstakes is all over, I’ll never open a PCH mailing again.  Disengaging myself from their over-the-top advertising and never-ending lure to get rich quick will save myself some precious time and peace of mind.