"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Escape from the everyday

Most people I know have over-the-top fantasies.

If a mega lottery prize is won, they won't think twice about dropping everything, quitting their job and going on a trip to Paris in France.  Unfortunately, much to their disappointment, the desired windfall never drops on their lap.  Unhappily, they find themselves plugging along, going through what they believe to be a boring existence.  The point they're missing is unappreciating what they have... what countless folks would be willing to enjoy... the blessing of gainful employment.

Honestly, once upon a time I too nurtured such a wild fantasy.  Better than the exotic trip, I loved the thought of never having to balance my checkbook because there was more than enough to spend.  But the hot balloon that allowed me to soar and nourish that dream soon brought me back to Planet Earth.  I guess losing gainful employment and fearing the loss of lifetime savings twice can pound serious sense into any brain.

These days I'm pretty much content with living an ordinary lifestyle and spending under my means. That's what financial guru Suze Orman would like everyone to do anyway.  Seeing flowers in bloom has the power to take me away to a very happy place.  I don't dream of taking a cruise to some alien continent anymore.  I've realized that taking a walk in a scenic neighborhood can do wonders for the soul and I don't even have to pack a suitcase!

Others have inexpensive ways to fulfill their travel wishes.  They watch documentary travel films, read geography books or salivate over glossy snapshots of foreign getaways.  Anyone can be creative in fulfilling their heart's desires without spending a dime. 

Not reaching for the stars, and simply living within, even below, our means, is not such a bad idea.  Sure, we can dream, but when it never becomes our wished for reality, we might only end up disappointed, demotivated, depressed and disgruntled.  A dragging morale is not a good companion through life.

If we must escape our everyday, let's do so without the grandiose wishes that if left unfulfilled would result in breaking our spirit.  Dreaming is healthy when we realize that the real world is not a soft cushion to fall on if and when our imagined fantasies don't happen.   

If we can learn to love what we have, there won't be a need to get away from our uneventful everyday.  But if that's not good enough... then dream on!