"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Monday, November 14, 2011

What's it all about?

One of the women I know recently complained how she has lost her focus.  For her everything is a huge hurdle, and work-related stress has become an unending daily workday battle.  She operates a 12-hour work schedule and still manages to be overwhelmed. 

“Have you tried meditating first thing before you start your workday?”  I asked.

Her immediate response:  “I don’t have time for that!” 

I instantly realized the root of her stressed-till-I-drop mentality.  She refuses to make time for what could bring pause and poise to her often harassed work grind. 

Many people are guilty of the same thing.  They run their lives on a frantic schedule, breathlessly going from Point A to Point Z, constantly complaining on how life has been speeding by that they can hardly catch up.

Human beings are the drivers of their destiny.  We are not puppets on a string!  We have the invaluable mental gift to make our own decisions, operate at our own pace and fulfill the divine mission we were given. 

If only we can find the time…

Modern technology has certainly made our lives easier.  Almost everything can now be had at the push of the button and click of the keyboard.  Unfortunately, in the process of the “quick fix” and instant information, we have lost the luxury of savoring time.  Working at a slow pace isn’t the prized process nowadays, but if only we do so perhaps lesser human errors will happen... and human sanity will not be put at risk!

In the old days, I would pore over books before I could complete a publishable article.  These days a monitor, keyboard and mouse are my best friends!  To be honest, I miss those leisurely long agos when I would sit with a good book and read.  Back then I felt I had the luxury of time and the freedom to enjoy every sinful minute.

I notice too that in the pre-technology era, relationships were valued and held sacred.  People didn’t change partners as often as they changed their clothes.  I can’t help but think that even if technology has brought a great deal of conveniences into our lives, it might have spoiled for us what really matters most:  our authentic human beingness.

In my Pollyannaish frame of mind, I can’t help but wish that the citizens of the world would find the time to ponder what really counts in our lifetime.  If we could all take advantage of that precious gift, then our existence would have meaning.  We would all learn to love what we're doing and cherish the moments that make life worth living. 

That includes not losing our mind over work or going crazy beating a deadline.

Have a good life, everyone!