"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chilling out


The last couple of days found me working from home.  The frigid weather (abnormally below zero temperatures) forced me to not dare venture outdoors and risk danger to my health.  A couple of days ago (the first day of the arctic chill weather), I went out for a minute to dump my trash on the curb as it was Garbage Pick-Up Day.  When I went back indoors, I suffered a monstrous headache all day long. 

It got me thinking:  Had I dared leave home that day to go to the office and waited for my bus ride even for 15 minutes, would I have likely ended up on my deathbed?  Heaven forbid!  So, thank God for keeping me warm and safe in my home!

I am grateful for the Internet and broadband for many things.  Those two days proved to me how pricelessly indispensable that tiny microchip imbedded in my home computer was.  It made my work life so much easier.   Today when I returned to the office, I didn’t have to feel guilty about missing work.  Thanks to that metal box and that telephone line connection, much of the important stuff had been taken of… from the comfort of my home!

While checking company voice mail and e-mails, I got to watch my favorite daytime shows.  “The View” was quite a revelation.  Besides seeing Barbara Walters looking so well after her heart surgery, it was good to see Joy, Sherri and Elizabeth behaving themselves for a change.  Whoopi Goldberg shared her drug addiction days and revealed what finally made her seek treatment.  She said that she was on her bed which was a few feet from the bathroom and she had to go.  But she thought that something horrible was hiding under her bed and that fear gave her no choice but to pee and poop on her bed.  That was her rock bottom.  That toilet incident gave her the guts to get cured because doing bathroom duty on her bed wasn’t her style.  She’s been clean for more than 10 years now.  Hallelujah!

The Oprah Winfrey Show featured the three American Idol judges.  It tickled me to hear Oprah say that it was a "kinder" group of judges.  Wasn't that exactly what I said in a previous blog?

In addition, Oprah had Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler promoting.their new movie “Just Go With It.”    Oprah asked Jennifer, who recently turned 40, what she loved about being in the 40’s.  Brad Pitt’s former spouse’s response:  “Comfort and ease with myself.”  She also feels the urge to put love and goodness out in the world.  Here’s what I can say to Jennifer:  “Wait when you get in your 50’s!”  It will rock your world!

Adam was his usual humble and endearing self.  This self-made millionaire should be a role model for other show business folks.  He’s so nice and unassuming, and according to people who had worked with him, pretty generous, too.  People like Adam make me wish them all of life’s prosperity and abundance because they know where to spend and share their wealth. 

Overall, brutal cold snap notwithstanding, the last couple days were very productive indeed.  Not only was I on track with work responsibilities, I accomplished the load while getting entertained by all kinds of updates on television.  I learned so much why couples go to Divorce Court, but I'd rather not bore you with the gory details.  Also, if not for the very upsetting news on the Cairo uprising, I would have had a very nice work-from-home time.

Nevertheless, nasty weather or not, the corporate grind went on.  Thank You, Jesus!