"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Divine shield from harm

A few years ago, my BFF (best friend forever) sent me the Shield Prayer which immediately became a morning ritual for me.  I pray it each morning before venturing out beyond the four walls of my home.  The prayer has kept me and the people in my life safe, even in those times when I almost crashed into vehicles that wouldn’t give me my crosswalk right of way.

For anyone out there interested in the Catholic prayer, here it is:

Lord Jesus, my crucified Lord, I praise You, I glorify You, I give You thanks for all Your blessings.  Please shield each and every member of my family, extended family, friends and myself with Your most precious, precious blood from anything and everything that does not come from You.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Oh, Mama Mary, our Blessed Mother, please pray for us and cover us always with your mantle of love and protection from top to bottom so that no evil in any way, shape or form may penetrate us all.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.  Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.  Amen.

Whether you are a Catholic or a member of another faith, it doesn’t hurt to spend a moment of prayer for your protection from the day’s unpredictable occurrences.  Let’s face it, the daily news are filled with scary stories because, no doubt about it, we live in very dangerous times!

A few snapshots of random evil lurking in our midst:

  A grandmother got into her car with the grandchild she was babysitting, and collided with another vehicle driven by a drunken driver, on the way to a 7-Eleven just one block from home.  She survived, but the child died in the crash.   

*   Sometime ago, a 21-year old male valet in a Denver parking garage was on the third night of his job when he was fatally hit by a passing truck.  The driver didn’t even bother to stop. 

*   Last year, also in Colorado, a pedestrian male standing at the bus stop was struck by a bus and died.

*   In Chicago, a car drove onto the sidewalk and ran over a 56-year old woman who was waiting for her bus.  The victim ended up with serious injuries and her leg had to be amputated.  The driver left the scene of the crash, but was subsequently arrested when law enforcement officials issued a community alert.

*   In New York City, a 27-year old food deliveryman riding on his bicycle was struck by a drunken hit-and-run motorist.  The driver hit a taxi first, then the deliveryman who was behind the cab.

*   A young mother was recently found dead in her Denver apartment which police suspected was the result of foul play.  Fortunately, her 8-month old baby was fine even after a few days in the apartment with the dead body.

If all people will develop a relationship with an Invisible Supreme Being…

Jesus Christ
Jehovah
Allah
Buddha
Yahweh
Kurios
Despotes
Vishnu
Adonai
El Shaddai
El Elyon
El Olam
Elohim
EL
Yeshua
Gaol
Magen
Emmanuel
Theos

or whatever name God is known to believers, we won’t have to carry the burden of fear as we go about our daily business.  If we dare to believe, God will protect us with an invisible shield that will keep us safe from harm and danger.  The ball is in our court.  We can either pick it up or simply ignore it.  It’s our call.