"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday sloth


Wynonna Judd (American country music superstar turned novelist) and I share the same weekend sinful indulgence:  Sunday slackness.  Like Wynonna, Sunday is also my sacred day.  She thinks it’s divine to sleep until she wakes up, lounge in bed and stay in her pj’s.  So do I.  I love how she brilliantly justifies her sloth:  “I think it’s important to bask in the glory of nothingness.”  

Wynonna said it explicitly well.  Bask in the glory of nothingness.  In six words, she captured the essence of my Sundays.  Even I can’t phrase it any better.

I go to church on Saturdays so that Sundays are spent chained to my comfort zone.  Call it idleness… laziness…indolence… I don’t really care because this rare luxury puts my body at rest and my mind at peace.  Monday through Friday means incarceration in the work jungle, what many working folks call the corporate prison.  Saturday is spent running around like a mad woman doing errands.  Sunday becomes my automatic bolt from all the craziness of the week… my me-mine time to do as I please. 

Everyone should give themselves permission to have the same Sunday pleasure that Wynonna and I enjoy.  Do nothing… or if you must move your body, engage in pursuits that give you joy.  Actions that make you feel tinglingly whole.

I have realized that one day of doing absolutely nothing is what keeps me physically healthy and spiritually alive. Because I enjoy 24 hours of uninterrupted blissful laziness, I am able to heal from the work week’s battle scars and regain my fractured sanity caused by chaotic stress.  Idle Sundays allow me to get up five days of the work week feeling ready for combat duty in whatever the week brings.

Sunday is a blessing.  Doing nothing on this day is a Divine grace that everyone should take advantage of.  I can't thank my Dear Jesus enough for this precious gift.  But, honestly, I won't mind having more than one lazy Sunday schedule during the 52 weeks of the year.

Perhaps I should be careful what I wish for because I just might get it!