"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, February 17, 2011

Grateful in failure

It’s heartbreaking to see young people’s American Idol dreams of making it in show biz get shattered during Hollywood week.  The tears were real and for many, the pain of rejection might have brought traumatic consequences.

I’m sure that many young people who have been singing since they were old enough to master potty training have aspirations of celebrity in their future.  It’s awesome that they’re able to manifest their dreams and have done something to fulfill the glory in their minds.

But dreams can be fragile and in one instant, can break into many pieces.  What I can suggest to the young AI visionaries is to be good at something else:  another money-earning skill that can support them as they go through life’s many ups and downs.  Call it their day jobs.  Also, they should be prepared to handle disappointment well and have the tenacity to move on. Gracious in defeat yet forceful in purpose.

Like singers, writers have many setbacks to overcome.  Many heartbreaking falls to get up from.  Sometimes it's very tough specially when people are unable to get up from a fall.  I can’t count the number of returned manuscripts I’ve received over the years.  I won’t lie that the rejections didn’t bother me.  But did that make me lose precious sleep…or keep me from writing?  Did I simply wallow in utter disappointment and never thought of writing again? On the contrary, I became convinced that if the time wasn’t then, it would be NOW.  So here I am…

It is my hope that today’s young people, those who think they have a talent and who are waiting for that one lucky break, will have the patience to spend time honing their skills.  It can be very frustrating.  As we know, champions aren’t made in a single day.  Many countless hours of practice factor into that winning moment when all the sacrifices make it all worthwhile.

Just as important as the time spent to master a skill is the attitude that accompanies the effort.  Humility is a very good posture to maintain throughout a lifetime, not only for beginners, but specially for those who have achieved a measure of success... even overwhelming good fortune. It is good to never forget that the gift of success in any undertaking is a cherished grace received from a Supreme Someone higher than any of us.  As a way of saying thanks, giving back to the community is an awesome gesture that merits continuous pouring of blessings from the Divine.

If any efforts of ours ever achieve favorable results, it is only proper to give thanks, not only once, but every day that we are allowed to breathe.  I believe that what is more appealing to the Universe is to say thanks even if our attempt at success is a failure.  That just proves that we are gracious, not only in victory, but all the more so in defeat.